Imagine a comfortable study atmosphere – books, stationery, timetables etc. What could possibly be a well deserved add on to this atmosphere – FOOD? Without a second thought, yes!! (Try remembering those childhood days again).
It is quite true isn’t it? As examinations approach, most parents find children asking for snacks and snack breaks- a lot more often than on regular days, of course! It is, but completely natural. Well, parents generally are extremely understanding of a student’s state of mind and they also know that planning their special snacks is probably the best forms of support they could show, more so during exams. Ask any mom!
Here are some tips and ideas to help you plan your child’s ‘examination diet’ as your child juggles with Mathematics, Science, English and the rest!
- Help them avoid outside food & water. Whatever is their favourite ‘outside food’, try replicating it at home. Nourishing home cooked meals are recommended for exam time.
- Give them lots of water- the days are getting hotter isn’t it! Staying hydrated is important.
- Fresh fruit…and more fresh fruit Bananas, apples, watermelons, anything which your little one likes.
- Child giving trouble in having fresh fruit? How about a delicious, yummilicious smooooothie? Sounds good right? The good news is – there is nothing to prevent anyone making the perfect smoothie using a variety of fruits and there is nothing to prevent you also from enjoying a glass of it with your child. Apple, banana, strawberry- take your pick, innovate if you like and ta-dah enjoy the smoothie with your child. Don’t forget – it has the goodness of fruits AND milk!
- Fresh fruit juices are also good options – kill the heat with some fresh lime, orange –the choices are unlimited. Coconut water is another good option.
- Plan the regular meals as usual – do curb a bit on the spice though.
- Stock up on their favourite chips and other savouries – small portions of it can be given during their snack breaks, alternating with the juices and smoothies.
- Healthy food is of course, one way of ensuring your child is healthy during examinations. Also do ensure he/she get sufficient hours of sleep too. This is true especially during exam days.
- Do take care of your child’s emotional health too. It may be possible that your child may not be feeling too confident after giving a particular exam. If he/she shares the thought with you…do encourage them to give their best for the rest of the exams. Scolding them or being harsh may weaken their confidence for the rest of the exams.
Well….in the end it is always the extra touch of love and affection that you add while flavouring your child’s snacks that makes all the difference. It is the very same ingredient that motivates and keeps every child happy! Cheers to parents and little ones… All the best!