The Difference Between Primary School and Secondary School
- Updated on 16 Sep 2022
- CBSE Board
- Urja Zaveri
- 3 mins read
Table of Contents
Secondary school and primary school are pretty distinct – but don’t worry, moving up to secondary school isn’t as frightening as it might seem!
We have an amusing look at some of the major changes you’ll notice.
The primary schools are designed in a way that aids the kid to face challenges and explore the broad spectrum of novel opportunities.
What is a Primary School?
You may be able to memorize your first day at primary school!
- Plays a critical role in the character development of your child. In recent decades primary school enrolment has been an achievement story, largely due to an array of programs and drives to increase enrolment even in remote places.
- It imparts the first education to your child, building a strong foundation for learning and improving their educational skills.
- Primary school is also known as elementary school. It is for kids who are 4-11 years old.
- They provide education up to grade 8 Government schools impart free education for kids aged 6 to 14 or up to grade 8 under the Rights of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act 2009.
- Apart from it, primary school is a suitable place for learning social practices like friendships, assistance, participation, and empathy, which are essential blocks shaping a kid’s personality.
- Jean Piaget gave an alternate definition of primary school. In primary schools, the framework is designed to build kids’ intellectual, moral, and emotional aspects.
- Not only that, but the primary school also helps your child to develop great mental behavior.
Now let’s find out what a secondary school is and how different it is from a primary school!
What is a Secondary School?
In layman’s terms, secondary schooling refers to the schooling offered at a primary school, and before higher, optional education.
They also guide the kids to take part in an array of programs like NCC and sports programs such as zonal etc. so that pupils feel motivated and their skills can be further nourished.
They can also choose their career options in their field of interest.
Our government provides a myriad of programs for underprivileged pupils.
The Importance of CBSE schools
CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) is one of the prominent boards in the Indian Education system.
- They lay the foundation for a great career and future opportunities.
- It aids in building the confidence of your child.
- Makes your kid a team player and instills social skills.
Primary School vs Secondary School
Although Primary Schools and Secondary Schools are not distinct, rather education is categorized into Primary education and Secondary education. Few schools are also there which impart education up to Primary level only. Pupils have to switch schools to the Secondary level in such cases.
|Characteristic/Feature||Primary School||Secondary School|
|Age-group||Usually commences from age 5||Usually commences from age 12|
|Subjects||Introduced to basic subjects at lower levels like science, math, drawing, etc.||Streams like Science, Commerce & Arts are taught in high school.|
|Homework||Less and more creative like drawing, etc.||Related to the scope of their studies. Example: Chemistry projects|
|Syllabus||Less [Easy learning along with the playful environment]||Wide [Conceptual along with its importance]|
|Exams||Introduced the exam patterns and made it habitual for sitting hours in the exam.||Become mature enough about exams and are also introduced to the board patterns.|
|Tasks||Made aware of their minute responsibilities like belongings, etc.||Trained to handle multiple tasks at a time.|
Primary and Secondary Schools are an intrinsic part of our Education system. We can say that Primary is the root of education whereas secondary is the developing phase for pupils.
Kids are required to have a motivation session in every grade from 1st to 12th to boost them up for every academic challenge they face in their life.
Your search is over if you are looking for the best primary/secondary school. It is, therefore, crucial for us to include on your list those schools where you stand a good opportunity of meeting the admissions criteria.
Want to see your child grow and succeed in his/her goals? Your search is over. Visit our Bangalore campus which is one stop destination for holistic education.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Secondary School Same as High School?
Solution: The terminology “high school” implies the academic institution that follows elementary school whereas the term “secondary school” is often used as an alternative term.
2. What is Before Primary School?
Solution: Pre-school (when you first begin spending days away from home as a toddler at nursery) comes before Primary School.
3. What is Primary and Secondary School in India?
Solution: The school system in India has four phases: lower primary (age 6 to 10), upper primary (13 to 15), and higher secondary (17 and 18). The lower primary school is divided into five “standards”, upper primary school into two, high school into three, and higher secondary into two.