Table of Contents
The Definition of Opposite Words
A word that expresses a meaning as opposed to the meaning of another word is known as an “opposite word.” An opposite can be the reverse of, the opposite of, or something that runs counter to anything, not only verbal expressions. It also counts as the reverse when someone behaves in a wholly opposite manner to what they have stated. These are also called antonyms.
Examples of Opposite words
- Bad is the opposite word of Good.
- Fast is the opposite word of Slow.
- Up is the opposite word of Down.
- I asked her to go down but she went up.
- I like hot tea but this is cold.
- He is riding his bike very fast instead of slow.
Teaching children opposite words will help them much in developing their vocabulary. These terms will be important to their academic development as well as the improvement of their reading and writing abilities.
List of 50 Opposite Words for Kids
How to Teach Opposite Words to Kids?
- If you want to teach opposite words to your kids, then you can also turn it into a fun game so that kids can easily learn opposite words as well as vocabulary. If you are teaching one opposite word to your child, that means you are teaching 2 words of vocabulary.
- You can make a list of opposite words and ask them to read it aloud.
- You can use the maximum number of opposite words in your daily life while talking to your children.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Opposite of Beautiful?
Solutions: The opposite of Beautiful is Ugly.
2. What is the Opposite of Kind?
Solutions: The opposite of Kind is Cruel.
3. What is the Opposite of Sweet?
Solutions: The opposite of Sweet is Sour.