25 books every kid should read before they are 14
- Updated on 10 Nov 2020
- Teacher's Corner
- 5 mins read
- The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
- Winnie The Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Harry Potter series by J. K Rowling
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
- The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank
- Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma
- Ramayana & Mahabharata by C Rajagopalachari
- Malgudi Days by R.k. Narayan
- ‘Wise and otherwise
- ‘The Vedas and Upanishads for children by Roopa Pai
- ‘The history of India for Children by Archana Garodia Gupta & Shruti Garodia
- ‘Rusty’ series by Ruskin Bond
- Grand Ma’s Bag of Stories by Sudha Murthy
- Gulliver’s Travel
- Pashu by Devdutt Pattanaik
- The giving tree by Shel Silverstein
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Luka and the fire of life by Salman Rushdie
- Letters from a father to his daughter by Jawaharlal Nehru
- The Blue Umbrella by Ruskin bond
Books can be a good friend to anyone. It is just a repository of knowledge. Books give us values, identify us from the civilization where we have our foundation. It is the responsibility of parents to encourage their kids to read books beyond the syllabus. Initially, Kid stories books create interest in reading them.
Here are some must-read storybook for kids and classic children’s books for ages 9-12:-
1. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe:
The fictional kid stories book revolves around four children who visit Narnia through a wardrobe. The classic children’s books by the age of 9-12, is full of ups and downs of life.
2. Winnie The Pooh by A.A. Milne:
It is a collection of stories that focus on the adventures of a bear named Pooh and his friends. There is also a piglet whose relation with pooh is quite good, and children find this funny. This storybook for kids gives children immense pleasure.
3. Harry Potter series by J. K Rowling:
Rowling’s series is a classic storybook for kids, covering the magical world. The novels deal with how Harry Potter, a little boy at Hogwarts magician school, handled the witch and his most significant opponent Voldemort. This is one of the finest classical children’s books for ages 9-12.
4. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling:
The Indian jungle boy Mowgli lives with a black panther and other wild animals. But the lion king of Jungle holds a rivalry with him and wants the human boy out of wild animals’ comradeship. The classic kid stories book is also made into various movies and cartoons.
5. The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank:
This book is about the struggle of a 13-year-old girl Anne and her family during the second world war. It can be said as a classic children’s book by the age of 14, which shows the life of a decent girl during the war.
6. Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg:
The story of three skeletons in which a big skeleton, a small skeleton, and a dog skeleton, all three get out of their basement one night and try to scare someone. The scenes are woven in such a way that it will make a child laugh out loud. The book can be listed in the must-read storybook for kids.
7. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens:
This Dickens’ novel is the story of the struggles of its main character, Pip. Pip is an ambitious young man who demands something different in his life. Meanwhile, he falls in love with a girl named Estella, who is very beautiful. As classic children’s books, it gives them some lifelong lessons.
8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson:
These stories book for kids are woven around sea bandits and treasure exploration. Robert Louis wrote this book in 1881 on focusing primarily on the search for buried treasures by Pirates. The book can be a classic children’s book for ages 9-12 if they love the iconic character of Captain Jack Sparrow played by Johnny Depp.
9. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle:
This kid stories book deals with a caterpillar that eats its way. The book is the highest-selling book. Around 50 million copies have been sold worldwide so far.
10. Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma:
One of the highly recognized kids stories book written by Vishnu Sharma. The book is a collection of stories written on animals woven interestingly.
11. Ramayana & Mahabharata by C Rajagopalachari:
If you are searching for classic children’s books for ages 9-12, this one is the perfect example. Ramayana and Mahabharata are two books that introduce us to the history and civilization of great Indian culture. Our children should read these stories, not just religiously but to take inspiration.
12. Malgudi Days by R.k. Narayan:
It is a collection of 32 stories. These stories are related to the fictional city of Malgudi in South India, the distinct activities there, and interesting characters. This book is a famous one between children of the age group 9-12.
13. ‘Wise and otherwise:
A salute to life’ by Sudha Murty: This storybook for kids deals with the struggles of Sudha Murthy in her personal life. The book explains the ups and downs of her life. I must say this is the most recommended one of the classic children’s books.
14. ‘The Vedas and Upanishads for children by Roopa Pai:
As a parent, we should start educating our children about Vedas from the beginning. Not because we should promote religious sentiments but because Veda books are the classic examples of the mixture of science and spirituality. The book can be read not as a kid stories book but as a must-read book for personal development.
This book is somewhat similar to the Panchatantra book. There are a lot of short stories in this book that teach children to tackle problems at each step.
16. ‘The history of India for Children by Archana Garodia Gupta & Shruti Garodia:
We all must educate our children about the country’s diverse history and culture. This is the book that explains Indian historical backgrounds through stories in an easy way so that it can be classified as a must-read storybook for kids.
17. ‘Rusty’ series by Ruskin Bond:
Bond’s fictional character Rusty narrates interesting and inspiring stories of his past. The novel is listed as a classic children’s books for ages 9-12.
18. Grand Ma’s Bag of Stories by Sudha Murthy:
The author penned the story around the grandmother. The book fills the void and gives immense pleasure to any child who is deprived of grandparents.
19. Gulliver’s Travel:
Counted among stellar stories book for kids, written by Irish author Jonathan Swift. The story revolves around a traveler Gulliver who reached islands of tiny. Gulliver, for them, is a giant man who can solve their problems. One of the classic children’s books by the age of 14.
20. Pashu by Devdutt Pattanaik:
This kid stories book is based on the importance of Hinduism animals. Seeing the picture of any God and Goddess, children will have many questions in their minds; this book is capable of answering some of those questions.
21. The giving tree by Shel Silverstein:
This storybook for kids revolves around a child and an apple tree. This book is written on the relation of a tree and a human. For a child to understand what nature love is, it is a must-read kid storybook.
22. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell:
Anna Sewell wrote this story in her last days. This story is about a horse named black beauty who tells her own story. It is interesting to read all the difficulties he faced in his life. Such kinds of stories will fill them with bliss.
23. Luka and the fire of life by Salman Rushdie:
The storybook revolves around the happening incidents and struggles in Luca’s and her father’s life. It is an interestingly woven classic children’s book for ages 9-12.
24. Letters from a father to his daughter by Jawaharlal Nehru:
The book is a collection of letters sent by Jawaharlal Nehru to his 10-year-old daughter Indira Gandhi in Mussoorie. This paper gives a poignant portrayal of the father-daughter relationship.
25. The Blue Umbrella by Ruskin bond:
The book revolves around the fate of a girl named Binia and her blue umbrella. It is recognized as the classic children’s books by the age of 14.