Top 20 Children’s Books You Should Be Reading This Summer!
- Updated on 19 Jun 2021
- Teacher's Corner
- 4 mins read
Reading is an excellent habit that everyone should teach their kid from an early age. Most books have crucial yet straightforward lessons. Storybooks feed on curiosity, spark imagination, and give your child knowledge of the world they live in. Opening a world of best books for kids also means a positive engagement for the little ones.
Benefits of Reading
Many people think that reading children’s books is a waste of time, but they couldn’t be more wrong. Children’s books are all about imagination and creativity, which will help develop your child in ways you never thought possible.
Studies have shown that kids who read from an early age tend to do better in school because they can focus more and retain information better than their peers who don’t read regularly.
Reading is also a great way to help kids increase their vocabulary and improve comprehension skills. Reading can also teach students how to problem solve, be creative, take risks, understand other cultures, develop an understanding of history, and more! The reading benefits are unending.
Top 20 Children’s Classics For Your Little One.
Many books have been published for children of all ages. However, there are a few that stand out as being unique and timeless classics. If you want your kid to read but are confused about what to offer them, here we have sorted out the best classic children’s books of all time.
Classic children’s books fit for reading by 1-4-year-olds
- Cooking with The Cat– The book from Cat in The Hat series is loaded with illustrations and rhyming texts. It also has a recipe in the end. It will spark your child’s imagination and improve their pronunciation.
- Fish with a Wish by PM McCormick– A little fish helps animals in the sea who face the consequences of plastic. It’s one of the best children’s books of all time.
- My Manners Matter by Pat Thomas– The book teaches your kids basic manners and how to be polite and good to everyone.
- One by Kathryn Otoshi– What about a book without characters? The book teaches your kid to stand up against bullying and peer pressure with the help of colored circles.
- Clifford and The Grouchy Neighbours– Clifford series is a classic children’s book for ages below 10. In this book, the dog is hated by his neighbors initially. He gradually goes on to become a favorite because of its helping attitude.
- Oh, The Places You Will Go– Dr. Seuss story books for kids are known for their funny and quirky stories with maddening illustrations.
Classic children’s books 5-9-year-olds will love reading
- Some Parts are Not for Sharing– The beautifully illustrated book deals with good and bad touch through illustrations and simple text.
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain– It is counted among one of the best children’s books of all time. The blended tone of humor and seriousness narrates Finn’s adventures as he encounters slavery, friendship, and religion.
- Grimm’s Fairy Tale– Frequently listed in the category of classic children’s books by age between 5-9, the book teaches your little one—” Don’t bite the suspicious apple, don’t eat the candy trail, and don’t trust your evil step-mother.
- The Diary of a Wimpy Kid– The series by Jeff Kinney has fifteen books that tell the story of a weakling kid Greg Heffley.
- The Happy Prince– Make your little kid appreciate the value of loyalty, compassion, and friendship with this book.
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr– A tiger comes to a kid’s house for tea and eats everything, still demanding more. Read the book to find out what happens next.
- The Christmas Carol– This book by Dickens is one of the classic books that should be a must reading for kids for all ages. The time travel is set in Turkey and shows a brighter side of it.
Children’s books for kids between 9-14 year
- The Room on The Roof– India’s most celebrated children’s book writer, Ruskin Bond, wrote this book at 17. The playful emotions of a teenager, Rusty, are beautifully depicted in the book.
- Robinson Crusoe– Daniel Defoe’s 1719 book is considered the first English novel by many. The tale revolving around pirates, cannibals, and mutinies is a favorite among many.
- Sherlock Holmes– Arthur Conan Doyle’s timeless masterpiece has been recreated into numerous movies and series with an ever-increasing fanfare. It never fails to make into the list of best books for kids.
- The Hobbit– Considered one of the finest among fantasy storybooks, The Hobbit has been a real entertainment since 1937.
- Five Children and It– Nesbitt’s books teach you to be careful what you wish for! Five children meet a fairy, and all their wishes go against them.
- The Magic of the Lost Temple by Sudha Murty– A city girl lands in a Karnataka village and has a great time with new things. Things take a tragic turn when she finds a stepwell in the village.
- Matilda– No list of kid’s storybooks is complete without Roald Dahl. Matilda, a modern fairy tale, is among the best classic children’s storybooks by age 9-14.
As summer comes to a close, we’ve compiled the top 20 children’s books you should be reading this summer! Whether it’s for your own kids or as an educational gift for someone else, these well-known titles are sure to delight young readers and their parents.So stress on the reading importance from today.
Have you read any of these? What was your favorite book from last year?
We have such an extensive library for the little ones to explore at Orchids International School in Bangkok- with books from all over the world! Visit us today or contact our school office if you would like your child enrolled as one of our many happy students.
If you liked this, you might also like…