About Universe and the Earth
- The Galaxies and Solar Systems make the Universe. It is believed that above 3200 stars and planets orbit in our galaxy.
- The solar system comprises the Sun and eight planets. Some of these planets have natural satellites.
- The inner four planets are called terrestrial planets, and the outer four are called Jovian.
- The Earth is the only planet where Life exists. It is enveloped with many layers of gases called the atmosphere.
- Due to oxygen gas in the Earth’s atmosphere and sufficient water, Earth is called a life-supporting planet.
- This concept is about Universe and facts related to it.
The Solar System
What Is the Milky Way Galaxy? How Many Galaxies Are There in the Universe?
- The Milky way galaxy is a large group of stars, dust and gas. It is also called a spiral galaxy because of its shape that appears in the night sky.
- Our solar system is part of the milky way galaxy.
- There are around 170 galaxies in the Universe.
Which Is the Fastest-Spinning Planet in the Solar System? Write Some Unique Features of That Planet.
Jupiter is the fastest-spinning planet in the Solar System.
Some unique features of Jupiter are as follows:
- A cyclonic spot named the Great Red Spot is present in the equatorial region of this planet.
- Several prominent cloud belts are present in Jupiter’s atmosphere.
- The four largest moons of Jupiter are called the Galilean Moons.
- Jupiter has 80 natural satellites.
Which Planet Is Called the Twin Sister of Earth?
Venus is called the twin planet of the Earth due to its almost similar size and density.
Write two differences between Venus and the Earth.
|1. Venus has toxic gases in the atmosphere.||1. Earth has life-supportive gases like oxygen in the atmosphere.|
|2. Though Venus is located after Mercury in the Solar System, it is the hottest planet in the solar system.||2. The temperature of Earth is not as hot as Venus, which is why Life exists on it.|
How Many Rings Does Saturn Have, and What Are Saturn’s Rings Made Of?
- According to NASA, Saturn has seven prominent rings.
- The rings of Saturn are made up of floating ice and rocky particles.
- All these ice and rocky particles orbit around Saturn.
- There are visible gaps between the rings.
- The rings are named using alphabets.
Life on Earth
What Are the Three Layers of Earth?
- Inner solid core:The temperature in the inner core is very high
It is made up of solid iron and nickel..
- Liquid outer core:The liquid outer core is located right after the inner core, made up of liquid iron and nickel.
- Mantle: This is the thickest layer made up of molten rocks.
- Crust:The thinnest and outermost layer of Earth. This layer is located between the sea floor and the mantle.
Name the Highest Free-Standing Mountain.
- Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest free-standing mountain.
- It is situated in Africa.
- Kilimanjaro is a dormant volcano.
- The lower part of the mountain is covered with forests.
Which Is the Wettest Place on Earth.
- As per world records, Mawsynram in northeastern India is the wettest place on Earth.
- This place receives 12000 mm of rain every year.
Which Is the Largest Desert in the World?
- The Antarctic desert is the largest in the world.
- This is a polar desert with dry valleys which had never rained and snowed in the last 14 million years.
What are celestial bodies and Stars?
What Is Auriga?
- The Auriga is a constellation in the Northern sky.
- Auriga is prominently visible through the naked eye in the Northern hemisphere during winter.
- This constellation is important as it is situated in the Galactic anticenter.
What Is Mangalyaan?
- Mangalyaan is an artificial satellite made for Mars orbiter Mission (MOM).
- The satellite was made in India and was a Mars orbiter which was launched on 5th November 2013 by the Indian Space Research Organisation.
- This satellite captured dust storms on Mars.