Across the Wall
- Nowadays, women are striving in various sectors of society.
- The role of education in women's empowerment is indispensable. They have moved across the wall with the help of education.
- In the past, women folk had no equal rights as their male counterparts. Women struggled hard everywhere to achieve basic rights and equal opportunities in society.
- Women now actively participate in art, culture, education, business, politics and sports.
- The role of women in society has changed over the years due to the influence of education.
- Read more about the famous women influencers here.
The Role of Women in Society
Who Is Malala Yusafzai?
- Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist who works for female education and development.
- She is the youngest Nobel Prize laureate; she received the Nobel Peace Prize at 17.
- She was shot at age 15 when she publicly criticized a law imposed by the Tehrik-e-Taliban which prohibited girls' education in Pakistan.
- She is also the youngest United Nations messenger of peace.
Who Is Mithali Raj?
- Mithali raj is a female Indian cricketer who captained the India women's national cricket team from 2004 to 2022.
- She is a right-handed batter and played for the India women's national cricket team from 1999 to 2022 and is the highest run-scorer in women's national cricket.
- The government of India honoured her with Padma Shri in 2015 and Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award in 2021.
Who Is Avani Chaturvedi?
- Avani Chaturvedi is the first female Indian pilot to fly a fighter aircraft.
- She flew the MIG – 21 'Bison', famous for its highest take-off and landing speed.
- For many years she worked as a flight lieutenant, and later on, she was posted in the Indian Air Force, Squadron No. 23 in Rajasthan.
- President Ram Nath Kovind awarded her Nari Shakti Puraskar in the year 2020.
Who Is Draupadi Murmu?
- Draupadi Murmu hails from the tribal community of India and has been serving as the 15th President of India since 25th July 2022.
- She is the second woman after Pratibha Patil to serve as the President of India.
- She started her career as a clerk teacher, and later on, she turned into a politician.
- She is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Who Is Gita Gopinath?
- Gita Gopinath, famously known as the Fiscal Scholar, is an Indian- American economist
- Currently, she serves as the first deputy managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Before this, she also served as a chief economist of the IMF.
- She studied economics and earned PhD from Princeton University.
- Before joining the IMF, she worked as an assistant professor of economics at many renowned foreign universities.
Name an Indian Female Gymnast Who Made It to the Olympics.
- Dipa Karmakar is the first female Indian gymnast to qualify for the Olympics.
- She is an artistic gymnast from Tripura.
- She qualified for the Rio Olympics in 2016 and secured the fourth position in the Women's Vault Gymnastics event.
Who Is Nikhat Zareen?
- Nikhat Zareen is a female Indian boxer who won medals in many Women's World Boxing championships.
- She hails from Telangana, and currently, she is appointed as a staff officer at the Bank of India
- She received her training from the Sports Authority of India.
- She is the official ambassador of Telangana.
Who Is Garima Arora?
- Garima Arora is a journalist turned chef.
- She is the first female Indian chef who won a Michelin star.
- After training at the world-famous culinary school in Paris, she worked under the supervision of many celebrity chefs like Gordon Ramsay.
- Later she opened her restaurant in Bangkok, which received a Michelin star.
- Her restaurant in Bangkok is one of the world's 50 best restaurants.