- The contamination of air, water, and soil by pollutants is called pollution. Environmental pollution degrades the quality of air, water, and soil and makes them unsuitable for use.
- Several human activities are the major causes of pollution.
- Environmental pollution has many ill effects like global warming, acid rain, contamination of water bodies, smog, etc.
- It is necessary to keep a check on environmental pollution for the continuity of life on Earth.
How Do Toxic Gases Affect Our Bodies?
- Toxic gases can damage the cells or tissues of our bodies. Examples of such gases are methane, butane, propane, carbon dioxide in higher amounts, etc.
- These gases, if they enter our body, can lead to the following effects—
- Cancer; can be related to the lungs, skin, kidneys, or bones.
- Respiratory disorders.
- Birth defects in pregnant women.
How Is Ozone Layer Depletion Related to Skin Cancer?
- A layer of ozone gas in the atmosphere protects us from the sun's harmful UV rays.
- However, the ozone layer is affected by the gases released due to air pollution. These gases have created holes in this layer, allowing UV rays to reach the Earth's surface.
- If any part of our body remains exposed to these UV rays for a long time it may lead to skin cancer.
Write the Differences Between Renewable and Non-Renewable Sources of Energy.
The differences between renewable and non-renewable sources of energy are as follows—
|Renewable Sources||Non-renewable Sources|
|Renewable sources of energy will not get depleted over time.||Non-renewable sources of energy will be depleted over time.|
|These sources cause less or no pollution at all.||These sources lead to environmental pollution.|
|Examples: Wind energy, solar energy, etc.||Examples: Coal, natural gas, and petroleum|
What Is Greenhouse Effect?
- The atmosphere surrounding the Earth is a mixture of gases. Among these gases, carbon dioxide The atmosphere surrounding the Earth is a mixture of gases. Among these gases, carbon dioxide and methane can absorb the sun's heat.
- As a result, the Earth remains warm, which is essential for the sustenance of life.
- The greenhouse effect is trapping the sun's heat in the Earth's atmosphere due to these gases.
Why Are We Advised To Minimise the Usage of Deodorants?
- Deodorants emit a specific type of compound called chlorofluorocarbons into the environment.
- These compounds are air pollutants and cause depletion of the ozone layer.
How Do Pesticides and Herbicides Cause Water Pollution?
- Farmers apply pesticides and herbicides to protect crops from diseases and kill pests and unwanted vegetation.
- The toxic chemicals in these compounds seep into water sources like rivers or lakes through irrigation water and cause water pollution.
How Is Wastewater Treated in Water Treatment Plants?
The following steps are followed for wastewater treatment in the water treatment plants—
Filtration is done by passing the water through water filters.↓
Sand particles and grits are removed from the water.↓
By sedimentation and decantation process all solid impurities are separated from the water. The organic matter is removed by the action of anaerobic bacteria.↓
The water is disinfected by adding chlorine and passing it through UV filters.
What is Biomagnification?
- Biomagnification stands for the accumulation of toxic materials in the bodies of organisms at each level of a food chain.
- These toxic materials do not degrade and pass from one organism to another.
- The concentration of toxic materials increases with an increase in the food chain level.
How Do Movie Theatres Are Made Soundproof?
The walls of movie theatres are insulated with an additional covering of fibreglass and foam, which absorbs 80% of the sound waves and does not allow them to be heard outside the theatres.