Hygiene and Sanitation for Class 3 EVS
A healthy mind prevails in a healthy body. To take care of our body and mind, we must ensure cleanliness and personal hygiene. It includes maintaining the hygiene of our place, eating a balanced diet, following a disciplined daily routine, etc.
Hygiene and Sanitation are essential for living a disease-free life.
Apart from these, we must be careful about our surroundings and follow the safety rules whenever required.
Importance of Cleanliness
Tourist Places Are Generally Littered With Garbage. How Is It Affecting the Environment? What Can Be Done About It?
- Garbage, when not appropriately dumped, leads to environmental pollution.
- Burning garbage in open areas is the fastest method of decreasing solid waste. Still, it leads to the emission of toxic gases that pollute the environment.
- Hence, while roaming around, we should ensure that the garbage is disposed of properly to reduce pollution.
What Are the Differences Observed in the Case of Garbage Disposal in Cities and Villages?
The following differences can be noticed—
- In cities, there are garbage bins in various places. In contrast, in villages, open areas are allocated for garbage dumping.
- Municipality people work in cities. In villages, a small team of sanitation workers is hired for these works.
- There is a proper sewage system seen in the cities, whereas in rural areas, such a facility is not always there.
- Collection and dumping garbage is collected and dumped with the help of large trucks in cities, whereas this work is done manually in villages.
Importance of Personal Hygiene
Why Should You Brush Your Teeth Twice a Day?
- While eating, the food particles get stuck in between the teeth. If not cleaned properly, these food particles get converted into acidic substances due to the action of bacteria present in our mouths.
- As a result, cavities are formed that cause toothache and make our teeth weak.
- Hence, we should properly brush our teeth twice a day.
What Happens if We Do Not Trim Our Nails?
- Our hands are used for various purposes throughout the day.
- They are exposed to dirt and germs very often.
- These germs or dirt settle down in the nails and enter our bodies while we use our hands for eating.
- These germs can make us sick. Also, dirty nails make our hands look dirty.
- Hence, it is necessary to trim our nails from time to time.
Why Should One Not Share Towels, Toothbrushes, Combs, etc.?
- Towels, brushes, and combs are the items that touch different parts of our bodies.
- Suppose a person contracts a disease by any chance. In that case, the possibility of spreading the disease to a healthy person becomes high if personal items like towels, toothbrushes, and combs are shared.
Health is Wealth
Explain How ‘Health Is Wealth’?
- The health of a person is crucial.
- When a person is healthy, they can work well and focus on their studies and other duties.
- A sick person will not be able to concentrate on work or study.
- An unhealthy person has to spend money on medicines and treatment.
- They feel depressed and demotivated.
- A healthy person is more productive and confident and lives life to the fullest than an unhealthy one. Therefore, health is equal to wealth.
Why Defecating or Urinating in the Open Is Not a Good Practice?
- Defecation and urination are the processes by which our body gets rid of toxic or unwanted substances from the body.
- Both urine and faecal matter contain germs and bacteria, which, if dumped in open areas, lead to land, air, and water pollution.
- Also, they make the surroundings prone to diseases like cholera, diarrhoea, and jaundice.
Importance of Mental Health
How Do Yogasana and Exercise Help Maintain a Healthy Mind and Body?
Yogasana and exercise help in the following ways—
- Yoga helps eliminate toxic materials from the body.
- Meditation asanas help in relieving stress and mental pressure.
- Exercise helps our body to absorb nutrients effectively.
- It also helps us stay fit and healthy and make us active.
Why Is Watching TV or the Computer for Long Hours Not Good?
Watching TV or computer for long hours may affect us in the following ways—
- It makes us lose interest in physical activities.
- It makes our routine boring, due to which we lose our appetite.
- We are distracted at times due to something we watched.
- It affects our eyes and leads to poor eyesight.
Why Is Safety Training in Schools Essential?
- School is the second place after our homes, where we spend most of our time.
- It is necessary to be familiar with the surroundings in the school for which safety training is conducted.
- It prepares us to make decisions and keeps us informed about the things to be done correctly during an emergency.