Importance of Agriculture in India for Class 4 EVS
- The practice of rearing soil to grow crops is called agriculture. Importance of agriculture in India cannot be denied as a major proportion of the population depends on agriculture.
- Different types of crops are harvested in India. Most of these are seasonal and harvested during specific months in a year.
- Crops can be categorized into different types like plantation crops, food crops, fibre crops, cash crops etc.
- Farmers follow different types of agricultural procedures; some are harmful to the environment if not monitored properly.
Types of Crops and Tools of Agriculture
What Types of Crops Are Harvested During Winter?
The following crops are harvested during winter:
Carrots, cabbages, radishes, spinach, peas, broccoli, turnips, wheat, barley, oats, mustard etc.
Why Should We Add Millet to Our Diet?
- Millets are nutritious and rich in minerals.
- Adding millet to the diet detoxifies our body and increases immunity.
What Elements Are Present in Fertilizers?
The following elements are present in fertilizers:
Why Earthworms Are Called Farmer’s Friend?
- Earthworms increase the fertility level of the soil.
- These worms live in the soil and create pores that help in the aeration of the soil. Moreover, they help increase the soil's organic matter, which determines its quality.
What Type of Crop Is Betel?
- Betel is also known as Piper betel. It is a rabi crop, i.e. grown and harvested in winter. It is a climber plant which is why it is called the betel vine.
- Loamy, fertile and moisture-rich soil is perfect for the growth and development of betel vine.
Write About a Crop That Produces Sugar.
- Sugar is produced from sugarcane.
- Sugarcane juice is used to make refined edible sugar. It is an important cash and plantation crop grown in estates.
- It is a Kharif crop as it is produced in the monsoon season.
- The fibres of sugarcane are used as biofuel.
What Is Horticultural Crop?
- Fruits, vegetables and medicinal plants are called horticultural crops.
- These crops are rich in nutrients and dietary fibres.
- Horticultural crops are planted once and can be harvested for a long period of time.
Steps of Farming
What Is Lift Irrigation?
- In lift irrigation, groundwater is used as the source of irrigation water.
- Water is lifted with the help of mechanical means like pumps.
- Usually, areas get adequate water if they are situated below the water level, but sloppy regions do not get sufficient water as they are located above the water level.
- Due to this, water is lifted and supplied to those areas.
What Is Lift Irrigation?
- Farmers prefer fertilizers over manure because manures are made with natural products that accelerate the growth of crops at a very low rate.
- Manures lack some specific nutrients which are only found in chemical fertilizers.
Types of Food
What Kind of Vegetables Can Give Us Energy?
- We get energy from carbohydrates.
- Vegetables that are rich in starch can give us energy.
- Root vegetables like potatoes, radishes, turnips, parsnips, and carrots are rich in starch.
Why Should We Not Eat Leafy Vegetables in the Monsoons?
- During monsoons, leafy vegetables do not stay fresh for a long time.
- If the weather is humid, many microorganisms grow on these vegetables, which can cause food poisoning and diarrhoea. Hence we should avoid eating leafy vegetables in monsoon.