Various Modes of Transportation
The movement of humans, animals and goods from one place to another place is called transportation. Humans use different modes of transportation. Vehicles have engines that produce power to move on land. Vehicles have wheels, and based on the number of wheels, they are categorised into the following types:
|Two-wheeler vehicles|| |
Examples: Mopeds and motorbikes.
|Three-wheeler vehicles|| |
Examples: Auto, rickshaw.
|Four-wheeler vehicles|| |
Examples: Cars, Jeeps and buses.
|Six-wheeler vehicles|| |
Examples: Trucks and lorries.
We see many push-cart vehicles on the road, which are not based on the machine but the manual power of animals or humans. Vehicles can be classified into the following categories according to the presence or absence of a motor engine.
|Motorised vehicles||Non-motorised vehicles|
| These are not human-powered vehicles and depend on engines and motors. |
Examples Buses, cars, trucks
| These vehicles do not depend on engines and motors but human power. |
Examples Cycles, push-scooters and animal carts.
There are three modes of travel- land travel which involves travelling on land. Air travel involves travelling by air, and water travel involves travelling in water.
Types of Vehicles
What Is a Monorail?
- A monorail is a train that does not run on the usual railway tracks. Instead, it moves on a single elevated rail track.
- Monorail beams are constructed above the land or street level.
- It is mainly used in urban zones and highly populated cities as a rapid transport system.
- Monorails move faster than any other vehicle on a separate track.
- Examples:Osaka monorail, Mumbai monorail.
Which Is the World's Smallest Car?
- Peel P50 is the smallest car in the world.
- It is a three-wheeled microcar that is very lightweight and can only be legally used in Britain.
- One person can sit in with a shopping bag inside this car.
- The car is so compact that it can run on a cycling track; hence named a dwarf car.
What Is a LEGO F1 Car?
- A LEGO F1 is a formula one racing car which is a Ferrari.
- These cars are made with approximately 80000 pieces of LEGO blocks.
- It is a drivable racing car and was first exhibited in the LEGO world in Amsterdam.
What Is a Colim?
- A colim is a type of detachable caravan.
- A caravan is a transportable home that provides both transportation and accommodation.
- Campers mostly use caravans for travelling.
- The front part of the colim looks like a car with wheels which can be detached if needed.
- The back part is the camper van that can be attached and only used while travelling long distances.
Why Do Trams Move On Tracks?
- Trams are electric vehicles that move on land.
- Trams receive electric power through overhead cables and move on the metal tracks that are laid on streets. Hence they move on tracks to get optimum electrical power from the set-up.
What Is the Function of Traffic Signals?
- Traffic signals control the usual traffic on streets and help regulate vehicle movement.
- They are mostly allocated at road intersections to reduce the chances of road accidents.
- A traffic control signal has three colours- red which indicates the traffic to stop. Yellow indicates the traffic to be ready, and green indicates the traffic to move.
Why Do Heavy Trucks Have Six or Ten Wheels?
- Heavy trucks and lorries transport heavy loads from one place to another place.
- Most of the time, goods are moved to places far away.
- The wide and more number of wheels helps reduce the impact of pressure due to the goods loaded in trucks. This reduced pressure allows these vehicles to move smoothly without misbalancing.
What Are Electric Cars, and Why Are They Preferred Over Other Vehicles?
- Electric cars are powered by electricity. These cars, nowadays, are preferred over fuel cars because they cause less air pollution.
- Electric cars have batteries that store energy used when the car functions, emitting fewer environmental pollutants. These batteries can be recharged at unique electric stations.
What Is the Difference Between a Moped and a Scooter?
The difference between a moped and a scooter is-
|1. A moped is a motor with pedals.||1. A scooter is just a two-wheeler, a lighter version of a motorcycle.|
|2. The engine of a moped is smaller, not more than 50 cc.||2. A scooter engine may range from 50 ccs. to 150 ccs.|
|3. A moped can cover 30 to 35 miles per hour.||3. A scooter can cover 50 to 90 miles per hour.|
|4. Mopeds are not permitted to move on highways.||4. Scooters can move on highways.|
| || |
How Do Trains Change Tracks?
- Changing the tracks is done with the help of a railroad switch.
- Trains can change tracks only on a railroad switch, which is a suspended part that remains between the rail tracks.
- The wheels of a train are made up of metals. When it reaches a railroad switch, the switch itself guides the wheel to the track that is facing the switch.
- If the left point of the switch is connected to the main track, the train will diverge to the right side.
- If the right point of the switch is connected to the main track, the train will diverge to the left side.
What Is Track Ballast?
- Track ballast is stone-made trackbed upon which the metalled railroads are laid.
- Track ballasts are made with sharp-edged stones so that they can interlock with each other.
- A track bed bears the weight of the railroads, provides a proper drainage system to the railroads, and avoids the growth of vegetation above the railroads.
How Do Tank Wheels Work?
- The military tank wheels are called a sprocket.
- These wheels remain attached to a wide metal chain with a larger surface area which decreases pressure so that the tank does not sink and can move faster.
- These wide metal chains are called caterpillar tracks that move along the wheels.
Name the Equipment With Which a Fire Engine Is Equipped.
We see the following equipment in a fire engine-
Ladders- Ladders have steep steps that accelerate while rescue operations in high-rise buildings.
Hydraulic rescue tools- These rescue tools have cutters and spreaders that can break open a small chamber like a laboratory or a car to rescue fire victims.
Fire extinguishers- a device filled with carbon dioxide gas at very high pressure, often sprayed to extinguish the fire.
Oxygen cylinders and breathing apparatus- Fire produces toxic gases, and many fire victims die as they inhale them, so carrying oxygen cylinders and breathing apparatus is a must.
Thermal imaging cameras- These cameras can take images of infrared radiation as visible light.
Limited source of water- Water is used to extinguish the fire.
Different Means of Transport
Why Is Air Travel More Expensive Than Land Travel?
Air travel is expensive due to the following reasons:
- Flights are more expensive due to the fuel price.
- Air crafts require 1.5 gallons of jet fuel to run highly efficient engines.
- Aeroplanes take less time than any other type of mode of travel.
- The maintenance of an aircraft is costlier than land vehicles.
What Is a Metro Railway?
- A metro railway system is found in urban areas of a country.
- It is a mass rapid transit system.
- Metro rails can move on land, above land on elevated tracks, or underground railway tracks.
- The trains move at high speed and are custom-made, so there is no staircase between the trains and the platform.
- The Shanghai Metro is the world's most extended metro railway system.
What Is the Difference Between Airbus and Boeing?
The difference between a Boeing and an airbus is mentioned below-
|1. The number of Boeing flights always starts with 7.||1. Airbuses always use alphanumeric codes.|
|2. Boeing is an American aircraft manufacturer.||2. Boeing is a French aircraft manufacturer.|
|3.Boeings have a pointed noses.||3. Airbuses have blunt noses.|
| || |
What Is a Lifeboat?
- Lifeboats are inflatable boats that are used for emergency evacuation during mishaps like ship accidents.
- These boats are motorised and provided with an auto-inflation system. They can move faster than other types of boats.
- Lifeboats remain fixed on the ships' sides so they can be easily deployed during accidents.
Explain the Three Types of Rail Gauges.
Rail gauge can be of four types-
- Broad Gauge Rail: The distance between two tracks is 1676 millimetres in broad railway gauges.
- Metre Gauge Rail: The distance between two tracks is 1000 millimetres in metre railway gauges.
- Narrow Gauge Rail: The distance between two tracks is 762 millimetres in narrow railway gauges.
- Standard Gauge Rail: The distance between two tracks is 1435 millimetres in standard railway gauges.