Parts of a Plant
- Plants are living organisms. Just like animals, plants also need air, water and other nutrients. They prepare their food using sunlight, chlorophyll, water and minerals.
- Plants are of different sizes and shapes. They live on land as well as in water.
- Plants show different variations in their body as per the habitat they grow in.
- We use parts of a plant to prepare food, extract raw materials, medicines etc.
Germination of Seeds
How Does a Seed Develop Into a New Plant?
- Seeds have tiny baby plants enclosed within them.
- When the seeds get an appropriate environment, they germinate, which leads to the development of a new plant.
- This baby plant grows the shoot and root systems and grows into a new plant.
Why Are Fruits Colourful and Have Varying Tastes?
- Fruits have their characteristic colour due to different coloured substances called pigments.
- These pigments make them attractive. Animals, insects, and birds consume these fruits and help in spreading the seeds of these fruits by defecating them to different places.
What Are Fertilizers? Why Are They Important for Plants?
- The substances that increase the fertility of the soil are called fertilizers.
- They are essential for plants as they are rich in specific elements that promote plant growth.
What Happens if a Potted Plant Is Kept Inside a Closed Space for Many Days?
- Sunlight is necessary for plants to make their food.
- If a potted plant is kept in a closed space for many days, its leaves start turning yellow, leading to wilting of leaves.
- This leads to the death of the plant gradually.
What Happens if We Over Water the Plants?
- Too much water leads to water logging due to roots not having enough space to exchange gases.
- This leads to wilting of roots and the gradual death of the plant.
Banyan Tree Develops Hanging Roots Other Than the Main Underground Roots. Why Does the Tree Need Additional Roots?
- Roots help to support the tree. The crown of the banyan tree is enormous and expands over a large area.
- Hence, the additional roots grow from the tree branches, which provide the support it wants due to its enormous size.
- These additional roots are called prop roots.
Why Are Sweet Potatoes Considered Roots, Whereas Potatoes Are Stems?
- Potatoes have small eyes which can grow buds which shows that they are specialized stems.
- On the other hand, no such structure can be seen in sweet potatoes; hence they are considered roots.
Mangrove Roots Grow Out of the Soil. Why Does the Mangrove Plant Need Such Roots?
- Mangroves grow in waterlogged areas.
- Roots cannot exchange gases in waterlogged conditions; hence mangroves grow roots out of the soil so that gaseous exchange can occur.
- These roots are called stilt roots.
Uses of Plants
Some Plants Are Called ‘Oil Plants’. Why?
- Some plants, such as mustard, groundnut, coconut, olive, etc., are used to extract vegetable oil from them, hence called oil plants.
What Is the Difference Between a Fruit and a Vegetable?
Both fruits and vegetables are different due to the following reasons:
|A plant part that essentially contains seeds||A plant part such as roots, stem, and leaves but no seeds.|
|They usually taste sweet, savour, tart, etc.||No distinct taste, such as sweet or sour|
|Example: Brinjal, tomato||Spinach, cabbage, fenugreek|