Role of Women in Society for Class 4 EVS - Orchids
Role of Women in Society for Class 4 EVS
- India has many self-empowered women who make the country proud in different fields.
- Lack of education in the past hindered women's growth and development as individuals in society.
- Education at present has made the role of women in society significant, which has increased the participation of women in every field.
- In some areas, women are still lagging due to social and cultural norms.
- Many non-governmental and government agencies are working closely in villages with people from the low-income group and educating them about the importance of equality and women empowerment.
Famous Women of India
Write About an Indian Woman Who Has Significant Achievements in the Field of Literature?
- Jhumpa Lahiri is an American author of Indian origin.
- Her full name is Nilanjana Sudeshna Lahiri.
- Her notable literary works include The Namesake, Unaccustomed Earth, and The Lowland.
- Apart from writing in English, she also writes in Italian.
- She won the Pulitzer in 2000 for her notable literary work 'Interpreter of Maladies.'
Who Is Arunima Sinha?
- Arunima Sinha is a physically disabled woman known for tracing Mount Everest in 2013.
- She is the first woman amputee from India who climbed Everest.
Who Was Savitribai Phule?
- Savitribai Phule was a social worker from Maharashtra who played a crucial role in India's feminist movement.
- She also worked on gender-based discrimination in society and empowered women.
- She opened the first Indian girls' school in Pune along with her husband.
- She was a teacher by profession and used to teach girls. She opposed Sati and supported widow remarriage.
Who Was Ahilyabai Holkar?
- Ahilyabai Holkar was the queen of the Maratha kingdom.
- She established the Holkar dynasty in Maharashtra.
- She was a social reformer who campaigned against child marriage and supported widow remarriage.
Who Was Begum Rokea?
- Begum Rokea was a social reformer, an educationist, a writer and a pioneer of the feminist movement in British India from Bengal.
- She established schools for girls and motivated them to stay informed and educated.
- She wrote a few novels: Matichur, Sultana's dream, and Abarodhbashini.
Who Was the First Female Engineer in India?
- Ayyalasomayajula Lalitha was the first female engineer in India.
- She was born and brought up in Chennai.
- After graduating in electrical engineering, she worked in many eminent engineering firms in India.
- She was the first Indian female who was part of the International Conference of Women Engineers and Scientists.
Who Was the First Indian Woman to Swim Across the English Channel?
- Arati Gupta Saha was the first Indian woman to swim across the English Channel.
- In 1960 the government of India awarded her with the Padma Shri title, the highest civilian award in India.
Who Was Asima Chatterjee?
- Asima Chatterjee was a notable Indian female chemist who did many research works on different chemicals.
- She developed anti-epileptic and anti-malarial drugs.
Who Was the First Female Commercial Pilot in India?
- Prem Mathur was the first female commercial pilot in India.
- Although she received the commercial pilot licence, being a female was rejected by many Indian airline companies.
- She worked as a co-pilot for Deccan Airlines and worked as a private pilot. Later she joined Indian airlines as a captain.
Who Was the First Indian Female Army Officer?
- Priya Jhingan was the first female Indian army officer.
- She joined the army training on a special request to a chief army officer.
- She has an interest in adventure sports and has participated in television shows based on adventure sports.
Who Was Cornelia Sorabji?
- Cornelia Sorabji was the first female Indian lawyer.
- She was the first female graduate from Bombay University who studied law at Oxford University.
- Apart from being a lawyer, she was a progressive lady and a social reformer.
Who Is Deepa Malik?
- Deepa Malik is a disabled female Indian athlete.
- She is the first Indian disabled woman to receive a medal in the Paralympic Games.
- She won a silver medal in the shot put at the 2016 Paralympic Games.
Women’s Empowerment in India
What Things Can Lead to Women’s Empowerment in Society?
- Education, motivation and financial stability make women empowered.
- Education allows a woman to think from a broad perspective and in different areas. Also, it helps and makes women free to express their ideas and thoughts.
- The eradication of superstitious practices and male-dominated societal rituals would also help in women's empowerment to a great extent.
What Kind of Professional Paths Are Women Choosing Now?
- Women are doing business, making their own companies.
- In the cities, many women have chosen offbeat jobs like driving buses or auto rickshaws and e-rickshaws.
- Nowadays, women are also running food trucks and food stalls.