Special Needs Children for Class 4 EVS
- Children who suffer from locomotory or mental disabilities are called special children.
- Some of these children have severe learning issues for which special schools are made.
- Teachers use different tools and techniques to teach special kids.
- Raising a special child is quite a challenging task for parents.
- Apart from schools, many non-governmental organisations drive different course modules for the learning and development of special children.
Equipment for Disabled Persons
Who Invented the Braille System?
- The braille system was invented by Louis braille, a visionary French educator.
- He was visually impaired but excellent in his studies, for which he received scholarships from the French government.
Why Do Blind People Use White Coloured Sticks for Support?
Blind people use white coloured sticks for support on busy roads because the white colour reflects light efficiently, making it noticeable.
What Is a Tactile Sensor?
- Tactile means something related to skin or touch.
- Visually impaired people use tactile sensors.
- A very common tactile sensor is the touchscreen on our smartphones.
- Through the touch sensation, blind people can feel the raised dots of a braille system.
What Are the Side Effects of Using a Crutch?
Using a crutch may cause many side effects -
- Joint pain in hands and waist.
- Pain in underarms.
- Sores in arms.
- Sudden falls that may sometimes lead to bone injuries.
- Prolonged use of a crutch can cause stiffness in the body.
What Kind of Materials Are Used to Make Prosthetic Limbs?
- Mostly titanium rods and plates are used to make prosthetic limbs.
- For better movement, some prosthetic limbs are made with silicone.
- Apart from these two materials, resins, aluminium and plastic or fibre materials are also used to make prosthetic limbs.
What Is Sign Language?
- Sign language is a method of conveying messages, emotions or thoughts using hand gestures or actions.
- Sign languages are used by deaf and dumb people, as they cannot speak and hear.
- There are a total of 300 sign languages.
- Communication with the help of sign language is efficient when both the people communicating know about it.
Education of Children With Special Needs
What Is Autism?
- Autism is a neurological and developmental disorder that occurs in children.
- Autistic children cannot read, write and understand learning concepts like normal children.
- Due to improper brain development, they can not socialise with other kids and shows repetitive behavioural patterns.
What Is Dyslexia? Enlist a Few Symptoms of Dyslexia.
Dyslexia also called reading disability, is a learning disorder caused due to poor development of some areas of the brain. A few symptoms of dyslexia are:
- Inability to learn new things or learn them at a very slow pace.
- Delayed speech.
- Inability to follow multiple instructions at a time.
- Improper sentence framing and spelling errors.
- Inability to identify different colours.
What Is ADHD?
- The full form of ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- It is a neurodevelopmental disorder.
- The common symptoms are hyperactivity, impulsive behaviour, and emotional issues.
- It can be handled and made better by regular monitoring, medication and routine changes.
What Is Dwarfism?
- Dwarfism is a deficiency disease that hinders body growth.
- A person suffering from dwarfism would not grow more than 4 feet in height.
- It is a medical condition which affects the body physically though the mental state of dwarf individuals is like a normal person.
What Kind of Tools Are Used to Teach a Dyslexic Child?
The following tools can be used to teach a dyslexic student:
- Cowriter This helps to correct spelling and phonics.
- Audiobook resources These help dyslexic students practice reading stories and poems.
- Spelling books These help dyslexic students practice spelling as much as possible.
- Digital apps for memory skills and sequencing A dyslexic child cannot process multiple instructions together. These apps help them sequence the instructions properly and sharpen memory.