About Time and Direction
- Time is the irreversible sequence of events that occur in the past, present, and future.
- Directions are used to specify the position of something with respect to another. There are four main cardinal directions used.
- It is necessary to know about the time and directions for doing daily tasks precisely.
- Time and directions play an important role in daily life. This concept is about time and direction.
What Is the Time?
Who and Why Has It Decided To Make a Minute of 60 Seconds Instead of 10 or 100 Seconds?
- Many centuries ago, an ancient civilisation called Babylonian decided to make a minute with 60 seconds
- The number ‘60’ can be derived by multiplying many different numbers such as (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, and 60).
- It becomes easy to tell the exact time using the 60-second minute.
- Therefore, it was decided to make a minute of 60 seconds.
Why Are the Total Days in Each Month Not the Same?
- Our calendar system is based on the total number of days the moon takes to complete its lunar phases.
- This takes 29.5 days to complete from the new moon to the full moon and back to the new moon.
- This is not an even number; hence the whole year cannot be divided evenly.
- So, to make it easy to count the months, some months are with a day extra or less.
What Is a Leap Year?
- A year is a time required to complete one revolution by Earth around the Sun.
- Earth takes 365 and 1/4th days to complete a revolution around the Sun.
- This extra 1/4th day after every four years is counted as one complete day. Hence, every 4 years, we have 1 extra day in the year that is added to February.
- Hence, in every leap year, we have 29 days in February and 366 days in the year instead of 365,
How To Know Directions?
Why Does the Needle of the Magnetic Compass Always Point to the North?
- A magnetic compass works on the magnetism of Earth.
- Earth is like a giant magnet that has two different poles.
- These poles are situated exactly opposite each other.
- A needle in a compass acts like a tiny magnet and always aligns itself to the north pole of Earth.
How Are All the Places Far Away From Each Other Fitted on a Single Small Map?
- The accurate distances between the places are scaled down proportionately and accordingly represented on the map.
- For example, 1000 km can be expressed in 1 cm on a map.
- Also, to represent various places, symbols are used.
- This makes it easy to represent a large area on a small piece of paper.
What Are the Equator and Prime Meridian?
- The prime meridian and Equator are imaginary lines that divide the Earth into equal halves.
- The Equator divides it into two equal northern and southern hemispheres.
- The prime meridian divides Earth into eastern and western hemispheres.
Why Are Symbols So Important on Any Map?
- Symbols on a map are chosen to represent commonplaces like bus stops, railway stations, footbridges, restaurants etc.
- These symbols make the map easy to read and understand.
- Also, a lot of information can be presented in a limited space using symbols.