Types of Plants and Their Uses for Class 4 EVS
- Plants are the ultimate producers on Earth.
- They can perform photosynthesis, synthesising oxygen and food necessary for the continuity of life on Earth.
- Animals, such as herbivores, carnivores or omnivores, depend on plants for their food directly and indirectly.
- Different types of plants provides medicines, fibres, raw materials, fruits, vegetables, oils, biofuels etc. Moreover, big trees are the habitat for a lot of animal species.
- The survival of living beings on Earth is not possible without the presence of plants.
Plants As Natural Resources
What Is a Biofuel? Why Do Biofuels Cause Less Pollution Than Fossil Fuels?
- The fuels obtained by processing biomass like plant and animal waste are called biofuels, for example, Biogas.
- Biofuels release less greenhouse gases into the environment.
- Biofuels are renewable sources of energy that are not exhaustible resources like fossil fuels.
- These are less flammable, easy to use and good for vehicle engines.
What is Ayurveda?
- Ayurveda is a natural medicine system invented in India long back around 3000 years ago.
- Ayurveda is a therapy and a way of medical treatment which uses plants and plant parts to prepare medicines.
Why Is Arnica a Vital Ingredient Used in Ayurveda Medicines?
Arnica is used in many Ayurveda preparations due to following reasons:
- It heals joint pain and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is used to treat muscle aches, sprains and burns.
- Arnica is topically applied on bruises and insect bites.
Name a Few Plants That Can Be Used to Treat High Blood Pressure.
The following plants can be used to treat high blood pressure: Garlic, celery, ajwain, cinnamon, basil, flaxseeds, ginger, cardamom, parsley, and Brahmi.
What Is Spirulina? State Its Medicinal Properties.
- Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is used as a food supplement.
- It is a highly nutritious food supplement packed with proteins, copper, potassium, magnesium, iron and vitamin B complex.
- Spirulina has anti-cancerous properties and controls bad cholesterol in the blood. It helps to check blood sugar and haemoglobin levels in the body.
Effects of Deforestation
What Is Slash-and-Burn Agriculture? Why Is It Harmful to the Environment?
- Slash-and-burn agriculture is also called Jhoom cultivation.
- Before starting Jhoom cultivation, the farmers select an area and clear it by burning vegetation. This piece of land is used for agriculture, and farmers shift to other pieces of land after a few years.
- The burning of trees on a large scale leads to deforestation and affects the environment. The land used for agriculture extensively loses its fertility after some time and becomes unsuitable for the growth of trees.
How Does Deforestation Cause Soil Erosion?
- Soil erosion is the carrying away of topsoil by natural forces like wind and water.
- Deforestation leaves the land without vegetation, making it more prone to soil erosion.
- Trees and plants hold the soil firmly with roots, and it is not carried away easily.
What Is Recycling, and How Is It Done?
- Recycling is a process which includes collection, processing and transforming waste materials into new materials that can be utilised.
- It helps to reduce waste, use of less natural resources and efficient use of various things that can be reused.
What Is the Difference Between Herbs and Spices?
The difference between herbs and spices are given below:
|1. Herbs are leafy parts of plants.||1. Spices can be any part of plants, like seeds, flowers, roots, bark, fruit etc.|
|2. Herbs are aromatic and flavourful in nature. They can be added as seasonings.||2. Spices are aromatic parts of plants that are used in cooking and added in marinades.|
|3. It can be used in raw and dried form.||3. It can be used in whole, dried and ground form.|
What Is a Marinade, and What Types of Spices Are Used to Prepare Marinades?
- Before preparing meat and fish-based dishes, we soak the ingredients in a mixture of spices and cooking oil called marinade. We use spices, herbs, oil and vinegar to make the marinade. Marinades make the food tastier and more tender.
- Ground spices like dried red chilli, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, mace, anise, cloves and nutmeg are used to prepare marinades.