All About Me
Members of My Family for Class 1 EVS
A group of people living together who are associated with each other is called a family.
A family can be a nuclear family or a joint family.
The following concept will introduce the learners to the meaning of family and its importance.
After going through the concept, learners would be able to:
- Differentiate nuclear family and joint family.
- List the family members.
- Know about maternal and paternal relatives.
Each concept is explained to class 1 students using examples, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through
a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Me and Others in My Family provided in PDF format.
Know About Yourself:
- What is your name?
- Where do you stay?
- How old are you?
- Who are your friends?
- Which grade are you studying in?
- What is your favourite food?
Answer all these questions and also ask these questions to your friends to know how different you are from your friends.
Know About Sana and Anil:
Others in My World:
Our parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, and neighbours are the people around us.
What Is a Family?
- A family is a group of people who are related to each other.
- The individuals of a family are known as the members of the family.
- A family can be either large or small.
- A family should at least have parents and children.
- All the members of the family live together, stay together, eat together and support each other in both good and bad times.
Relationship Between Our Family Members:
Know About Your Extended Family:
- Other than your parents and grandparents, there are many other members of your family.
- These distant members of your family are called the extended family.
Who Is Your Uncle?
Your father’s or your mother’s brother is your uncle.
Who Is Your Aunt?
Your father’s/ mother’s sister or your uncle’s wife is your aunt.
Who Are Your Cousin Brothers?
Your uncle and aunt’s sons are your cousin brothers
Who Are Your Cousin Sisters?
Your uncle and aunt’s daughters are your cousin sisters.
Both cousin brothers and sisters are together called cousins.
People who live in a house next to your home or across the street are your neighbours.
Who Are Your Friends?
Your friends are either boys or girls whom you love to play with, have fun with, spend time with, go to school, and study together.
Individual: A single human being.
Distant: Not related closely.
Did You Know?
- Your father’s parents are called paternal grandparents, and your mother’s parents are your maternal grandparents.
- Families can be broadly divided into two types—nuclear and joint families.
- A family in which the father, mother, and children live together is called a nuclear family.
- A family in which the child lives in a house along with their parents, siblings, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins is called a joint family.