Describing Words for Class 1 English
Describing words in English is used to provide more specific information about an object’s colour, shape, texture, size, etc. This learning concept will cover the significance of describing words and their usage in sentences.
The students will also learn about the following:
- The definition of describing words with examples.
- List of describing words for class 1 to describe a different kinds of people or objects.
- A few common mistakes while using them in a sentence.
Every concept is taught to class 1 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the describing words worksheet for class 1 and check your answers with the worksheet solutions provided in PDF format.
- A describing word tells or gives us more specific details of a person, place, animal, thing.
- It describes the colour, size, shape, texture, etc. of a noun or pronoun.
- Describing words can be written before or after a noun or pronoun.
- Describing words can make our writing and speaking skills more interesting.
- It is also called adjectives.
The words two, soft, round and blue are describing the nouns - birds, teddy, bed, and dress. Therefore, we can call them describing words.
There are a thousand ways we can describe something using adjectives. They can describe the colour, shape, size, smell, and texture of a thing.
Words that describe the shape of a noun can be considered as describing words. Shapes such as: square, triangle, round, etc.
We use these words to talk about size of someone or something. Words like little, tiny, small, big, huge, medium… etc.
These describing words are used to talk about the colour of a noun. Words like: Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Blue, Black, White… etc.
The below mentioned words are adjectives because they are used to describe the number or quantity of something or someone. The words like One, Hundred, Thousand, Million, A lot, A few, Many… etc.
These are the words we use to describe the taste of food. For instance, Sweet, Bitter, Sour, Spicy, … etc
When we describe the smell of something we use these words. Words such as Stinky, Musty, Flowery, Nasty, …etc.
These words are used to describe the sound of a noun.Yuo can use words like Loud, Quiet, Silent, Roar, Coo… etc.
8. Emotions or characteristics
Describing words can also describe feelings. These words help to describe someone’s emotions, characteristics, or feelings, etc. For instance, Angry, Happy, Sad, Calm, Scary, Intelligent, Smart, Clever, etc.
We use these words to talk about the texture of something. For instance, Soft, Hard, Fluff, Rough, Smooth, Slimy…etc.
Don’t get confused between the words that describe adjectives and words that talk about verbs. Adjectives are the words that describe nouns.
- The students quietly leave the room.
- The students are very