Picture Reading for Class 1 English
Picture comprehension for class 1 enables students to understand what they are reading and allows them to analyze the story better. If students are struggling with difficult words, the pictures make the narrative easy by increasing their comprehension.
In this learning concept, the students will:
- Learn reading pictures.
- Find more details about a picture, such as characters, action, setting, etc.
- Identify common mistakes that must be avoided while answering picture comprehension with questions.
Every concept is taught to class 1 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the picture comprehension worksheets pdf and check your answers with the worksheet solutions provided in PDF format.
- Picture comprehension requires students to carefully observe the picture, find interesting details, and answer questions related to it.
- Picture comprehension helps students to get ready for reading comprehension.
Q. Observe the picture and answer the following questions.
- What does the picture depict?
Answer:The picture is depicting a scene in a restaurant.
- Can you write any one similarity between the waitresses?
- What is the cook doing?
- How many customers are there in the restaurant?
Answer:All the waitresses are wearing blue uniforms.
Answer:The cook is cutting vegetables and preparing food.
Answer:There are total of 7 customers in the restaurant.
How to Read a Picture?
Look at the picture below and notice the key-points you need to focus on when reading the picture.
- Which place can be seen in the picture?
- Characters in the picture
- What action each character does?
- A man is harvesting carrots.
- A girl is gathering soil in a container.
- A boy is planting a sapling.
- Mention other things observed in the picture There may be many items apart from the characters observed in the picture. Specify information about those items like name them and give a number of the quantity of things seen in a picture. For example, words like table, tree, chair, etc.
- There are four potted plants in the garden.
- There is a shovel in the soil.
Observe the picture to see the area it shows. The surrounding of a picture always gives hints as to location of the picture.
The place in the picture is a garden.
There will always be a few characters in a picture. You can mention the number of the characters seen in the picture. Use words like man, woman, girl, boy, etc. to name the characters in the picture.
There are five people in the garden.
Each character will be performing an action. You need to identify which character does the action and specify the details about the character while mentioning this action.
Before you give the answers, read the questions attentively. Don’t add unnecessary information unless asked.
Can you identify the place in the picture?
- Yes. This is a picture of a farm.
- Yes. This is a picture of a farm. There are 6 animals in the picture.
Look at the mind map to have a better understanding of the concept.