Similar Words for Class 1 English
The learning concept will help students to learn about the importance of similar words in English and enhance their ability to communicate ideas. They will use synonym to make their writing more vivid and creative. Students will come across the definition, examples, important synonyms list that will help them to understand the topic better.
In this learning concept, the students will learn about:
- The synonyms meaning and examples.
- The use of synonyms in a sentence.
Each concept is explained to class 1 English students using examples, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go
through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the similar words provided in PDF format.
There are few words having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word. We call them synonyms.
Examples of similarity words:
- This is a picture of a home or house . The words are different, but the meanings of the words are the same.
- Similarly, look at the words below:
- The boy in the below picture is sleeping. Can you guess a similar word that also means sleep? Corrects! It’s a nap.
- The words shop and store are different words that mean the place where you can buy things at is called a shop or store.
Look at the picture. The girl is happy. Can we say the girl is joyful? Yes, we can!Though Happy and joyful are two different words, they mean the same thing.
Let’s try to find other synonyms:
Sleep and nap are two different words that mean the same thing. Therefore, we can call ‘sleep’ and ‘nap’ similar words.
Why do We Learn Similar Words?
- Similar words or synonyms are the words that mean exactly or nearly the same. If you are a writer and repeatedly use the same words to describe something, it will become repetitive. Similar words allow us to avoid repetition and provide variety in our writing and speech.
- Synonym helps us to expand our vocabulary. The more we learn synonyms, the larger our vocabulary will become.
Here are some important synonyms list we use every day:
- Big: Huge
- Small: Tiny
- Child: Kid
- Good: Fine
- Earlier: Before
- Rich: Wealthy
- Many: Lot
- Slow: Lazy
- Mouse: Rat
- Right: Correct
- Start: Begin
- Always: Forever
- Listen: Hear
- Wrong: Incorrect
- Beautiful: Pretty
- Quick: Fast
- Woman: Lady
- Sick: Ill
- Trip: Journey
- Rock: Stone
- Similar words are two different words that describe the same thing. But the two different words can’t be a
combination of a naming word and a describing word or an action word and a naming word. Both have to be naming
words, action words, or describing words.
- Do not use similar words in the same sentence to talk about one thing only.
Sonali is listens and hears songs every day.
Sonali hears songs every day.