Use the Correct Word they them for class 1
They and them are both pronouns and are always used in place of plural nouns. In this concept, the students will learn to differentiate between two pronouns – they and them. They will come across the definition of pronouns, use of they and them, examples, and mind map.
This learning concept will help the students to:
- To use they and them in sentences.
- To identify the difference between they and them.
Each concept is explained to class 1 students using examples, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Pronouns provided in PDF format.
- Words used in place of naming words are called pronouns.
- We use pronouns in place of naming words that have already been mentioned previously in order to avoid repetition.
- A pronoun can show both singular and plural nouns.
- ‘They’ and ‘them’ are pronouns used to talk about more than one naming word.
A) Use of ‘they’:
- ‘They’ is used to describe more than one person so, ‘they’ is a plural pronoun.
- We use ‘they’ when we talk about other people.
- ‘They’ usually is placed before doing words.
- The speaker is talking about other people. Therefore, we used ‘they’.
- The people we are talking about are the family who has bought a car. They are a group of people hence the word ‘They’ is used. to talk about more than one person.
- ‘They’ is placed before the action word (bought).
- The speaker didn’t use the name of the grandparents. Instead the word ‘they’ is used as a replacement for nouns.
- ‘They’ is used because the speaker is talking about more than one person.
A) Use of ‘them’:
- The pronoun ‘Them’ is a plural pronoun. We use it when we talk about more than one animal, person, or thing.
- We use ‘them’ to show the action done over a group of people.
- ‘Them’ usually is placed after doing words.
- In the above sentence, instead of using the word (cats), we used the pronoun ‘them’.
- The pronoun ‘Them’ is used to talk about more than one animal. And it is placed after the doing word or verb (feed).
- The pronoun ‘Them’ in the sentence speaks about the ‘friends. Instead of using the word ‘friends’, the speaker used the pronoun ‘them’.
- ‘Them’ refers to more than one friend and it is before the action verb.
a) The pronoun ‘They’ can’t sit at the end of a sentence. It usually is positioned at the beginning of a sentence.
- I love them.
- I love they.
b) On the other hand, ‘them’ is placed in the middle or at the end of a sentence. It can’t be positioned at the beginning of a sentence.
- They are my friends.
- Them are my friends.