Use Words to Complete the Sentences for Class 1 English
Picture comprehension provides children with the opportunity to decipher and understand a picture. It allows students to improve their vocabulary and build language skills.
In this learning concept, students will learn:
- To find details from a picture and complete the sentences.
- To use words to describe a picture.
- To follow the rules while comprehending a picture.
Every concept is taught to class 1 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the picture comprehension worksheets for grade 1 and check your answers with the worksheet solutions provided in PDF format.
A picture comprehension is an exercise where children carefully observe the given picture and comprehend what the picture is all about. They need to pay attention to the details of the picture and answer simple questions related to it.
Q. Look at the picture, find the details and answer the questions given below:
1. The colour of the water is _____
Answer:The colour of the water is blue.
2. There are _____windows and one door in the house.
Answer:There are four windows and one door in the house.
3. The colour of the house is_______.
Answer:The colour of the house is yellow.
4. It is the ____ time in the picture.
Answer:It is the day time in the picture.
Why is picture comprehension useful?
- “A picture is worth a thousand words”. An image can help a child understand complicated activities or actions quicker than reading a text
- It improves children’s eye for observing items.
- It helps students to expand their ideas and describe what is happening or present in the picture by using simple sentences.
Words used to complete the sentence.
A) Naming words
Naming words are used to name persons, places, and things in the picture.
To name people, you may use words like girl, boy, man, woman, etc.
The place name tells us which area does the place describe. For example, a garden, a school, a lawn, a farm, etc.
B) Actions words
These words tell us about the activities the people in the picture engage in. For instance, words like playing, walking, sitting, etc.
- A house is in the picture.
- The boys are playing on the lawn.
- There are two trees on the lawn.
- A boy is running after another boy.
Rules to follow while comprehending a picture:
- Students should observe the picture carefully and notice each and every small detail.
- Look at the picture and spot how many characters or objects are present in the picture.
- Observe the action performed by the characters.
- Find out the location or background, or setting of the picture.
- Always read the questions before answering them, and don’t add irrelevant information.
Look at the picture and use the rules to comprehend a picture.
- This is a picture of a rainy day.
- We can see five children in the picture.
- Some of them are making paper boats, and others are jumping in the puddle.
- The children made four paper boats.
- It seems like the children are playing near a lake.
- Two children are holding an umbrella each.
Since we have collected all the important information, we are ready to answer the questions.
- There are three/four/five children in the picture.
- There are one/two/three umbrellas in the picture.
- The children are crying/reading/playing.
- The children made four/five/six paper boats.
A picture doesn’t have words to explain what is happening. Students have to use their observation skills to create their answers. If you don’t observe the picture carefully, you end up giving a wrong answer.