Concept: Uses of He, She, it
- Pronouns are words that take the place of one or more nouns in a sentence.
- Pronouns can be used to refer to a noun that has already been mentioned in a previous sentence.
- Words like he, she, it, you, I, we, they, etc., are pronouns.
- Words like ‘He’, ‘she’, ‘it’, and ‘I’ are called as singular pronouns, and ‘we’, ‘you’, ‘they’ are called as plural pronouns.
- Rahul is my friend. He is a pilot.
- Sana is studying. She has an exam tomorrow.
- The elephant is so big. It is sitting near the tree.
In the above sentences, we used the pronouns he, she, it instead of the nouns. We don’t want to
use the same noun
again and again hence we use pronouns.
But, do you know when to use the pronouns he, she, it in a sentence?
Pronouns are divided into various types. One such type is the singular pronoun.
In this lesson, we will only talk about the singular pronouns ‘he’, ‘she’, and‘it’.
- Use of ‘he’:
- The pronoun ‘he’ is a singular pronoun. It is used to talk about only a boy or a man.
- Ravi is a singular naming word. Hence instead of repeating the noun, we used a pronoun. Since we are talking about one boy, we replaced the noun with ‘he’.
- Use of ‘she’
- The pronoun ‘she’ is a singular pronoun. It is used to talk about only a girl or a woman.
- In the example given below, Siya is a singular naming word. Instead of using the noun again in the sentences that follow we use a pronoun. Since we are describing one girl, we replaced the noun with the pronoun ‘she’.
- Use of ‘she’
- The pronoun ‘it’ is a singular pronoun. ‘It’ is used to refer to a singular object, animal, fruit, place, vegetable, plant, etc.
- It is also used to replace naming words. In the examples given below, we use the pronoun ‘it’ instead of the naming words - bird, and cookie to avoid repetition of the nouns.
- Never use ‘it’ when you talk about human beings.
- Always remember we use ‘it’ when we refer to a singular animal, object, place, fruit, vegetable, plant, etc.
Tarun is my cousin. It loves to play the guitar.
Tarun is my cousin. He loves to play the guitar.