Animals and Their Young Ones
The students will learn about animals and their babies. The concept explanation will introduce them to animals and their babies name.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Name the animals and their young ones.
- Identify the young ones of the animals looking at their pictures.
Each concept is explained to class 1 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Animals and their young ones provided in PDF format.
- Animals are living beings who eat, grow, get old and die.
- One of the most important features of all living beings on Earth is giving birth to babies. The process by which they give birth to their offspring is called reproduction.
- Let us look at baby animal images below.
List of Animals and Their Babies with Names
a) The young one of a dog is called a puppy.
b) The young one of a cat is called a kitten.
c) The young one of a cow is called a calf. Similarly, the young ones of buffalo, elephants, and giraffes are also called calves.
d) The young one of a horse is called a colt.
e) The young one of a lion is called a cub. Similarly, the young ones of tigers and leopards are also called cubs.
f) The young one of a pig is called a piglet.
g) The young one of a donkey is called a foal.
h) The young one of fish is called a fry.
i) The young one of a sheep is called a lamb.
j) The young one of a goat is also called a kid.
k) The young one of a deer is called a fawn.
l) The young one of a rabbit is called a kit.
m) The young one of a monkey is called an infant.
n) The young one of a kangaroo is called a joey.
o) The young one of an owl is called an owlet.
p) The young one of a hen is called a chick.
q) The young one of a duck is called a duckling.
r) The young one of a frog is called a tadpole.
Offsprings:The baby or young one of an animal.
Did You Know?
- Mother dogs can give birth to more than one puppy at a time. This group of puppies is called a litter.
- Tadpoles hatch out of the frog’s eggs only when they are in the water.
- The baby of a blue whale is called a calf and weighs up to 150,000 kg.
- The babies of giraffes and horses start walking after 1 hour of their birth.