Body Parts of Human Body for Class 1 Science
We use our body parts to eat, walk, run, hop and do other activities. This concept will introduce the learners to various body parts of human body.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Name various body parts.
- State the functions of the body parts.
Each concept is explained to class 1 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Body Parts of Human Body provided in PDF format.
What do you see in a mirror?
- When you look at yourself in a mirror, what do you see?
- Do all your friends see the same things when they look into a mirror?
- Let us look at the parts of our body which we can see standing in front of the mirror.
Parts of the body
Functions of Body Parts:
Our body can be broadly divided into the head, neck, torso, hands, and legs.
- It is the uppermost part of our body
- The head is covered with hair on the top.
- The layer of skin below the hair is called the scalp.
- It is located on the front portion of the head.
- Face helps us in expressing our emotions.
- Our face comprises of the following parts—
|Eyes||Eyes help us see. They are protected by eyelids.|
|Ears||Ear helps us hear.|
|Nose||It helps us smell.|
|Nose||It helps us smell.|
|Forehead||The portion between the hairline and eyebrows.|
|Mouth||We use the mouth for more than one purpose. The teeth in the mouth help us chew, whereas the tongue in the mouth helps us taste food and talk.|
- It is located below our head.
- The neck helps rotate our head sidewards, upwards, and downwards.
- It also joins our head to our body.
- It is the region of the body present below our neck.
- All parts of our body are attached to the torso with the help of joints.
- Our torso comprises the following parts—
|Parts of the Torso|
|Chest||It is the top region of the torso and protects the organs like the heart, lungs, etc.|
|Abdomen||It is the middle region of the torso.|
|Belly button||It is a depression found in the lower region of the abdomen.|
|Back||The back portion of the torso.|
|Buttocks||It is a part of the back region of the torso that is situated just above the legs.|
|Waist||It is the middle region of the torso|
- It is the region of joints in our upper body.
- It joins our hands with the torso.
Our arm comprises the following parts—
|Upper arm||The portion between the shoulder and the elbow.|
|Lower arm||The portion between the wrist and elbow.|
|Wrist||The joint where the lower arm joins with the hand.|
|Hand||Located at the end of the arm|
|Palm||The flat side of the hand.|
|Fingers||Present at the end of the hands.|
Our leg comprises the following parts—
|Thigh||The upper region of the leg is present above the knee.|
|Knee||The region where the upper leg joins with the lower leg.|
|Shin||It is the front part of the leg from the knee to the ankle.|
|Ankle||The joint where the foot and the shin join together.|
|Foot||Bottom of the leg.|
|Toes||End of the foot.|
|Heel||The back region of the foot.|
Depression: Sunken, present at a lower position than the surroundings
Emotions: Feelings such as happiness,love,fear,anger,or hatered.
Did You Know?
- Birds also have arms and legs like us. But their arms are modified into wings, and their legs are modified into claws.
- The hair present on our eyelids is called eyelashes. They prevent dust and other unwanted particles from getting into our eyes.