Concept: Parts of My Body
What do you see in a mirror?
- When you look at yourself in a mirror, what do you see?
- Do all your friends see the same things when they look into a mirror?
- Let us look at the parts of our body which we can see standing in front of the mirror.
Parts of the body
Functions of our body parts:
Our body can be broadly divided into the head, neck, torso, hands, and legs.
- It is the uppermost part of our body
- The head is covered with hair on the top.
- The layer of skin below the hair is called the scalp.
- It is located on the front portion of the head.
- Face helps us in expressing our emotions.
- Our face comprises of the following parts—
|Eyes||Eyes help us see. They are protected by eyelids.|
|Ears||Ear helps us hear.|
|Nose||It helps us smell.|
|Nose||It helps us smell.|
|Forehead||The portion between the hairline and eyebrows.|
|Mouth||We use the mouth for more than one purpose. The teeth in the mouth help us chew, whereas the tongue in the mouth helps us taste food and talk.|
- It is located below our head.
- The neck helps rotate our head sidewards, upwards, and downwards.
- It also joins our head to our body.
- It is the region of the body present below our neck.
- All parts of our body are attached to the torso with the help of joints.
- Our torso comprises the following parts—
|Parts of the Torso|
|Chest||It is the top region of the torso and protects the organs like the heart, lungs, etc.|
|Abdomen||It is the middle region of the torso.|
|Belly button||It is a depression found in the lower region of the abdomen.|
|Back||The back portion of the torso.|
|Buttocks||It is a part of the back region of the torso that is situated just above the legs.|
|Waist||It is the middle region of the torso|
- It is the region of joints in our upper body.
- It joins our hands with the torso.
Our arm comprises the following parts—
|Upper arm||The portion between the shoulder and the elbow.|
|Lower arm||The portion between the wrist and elbow.|
|Wrist||The joint where the lower arm joins with the hand.|
|Hand||Located at the end of the arm|
|Palm||The flat side of the hand.|
|Fingers||Present at the end of the hands.|
Our leg comprises the following parts—
|Thigh||The upper region of the leg is present above the knee.|
|Knee||The region where the upper leg joins with the lower leg.|
|Shin||It is the front part of the leg from the knee to the ankle.|
|Ankle||The joint where the foot and the shin join together.|
|Foot||Bottom of the leg.|
|Toes||End of the foot.|
|Heel||The back region of the foot.|
Depression: Sunken, present at a lower position than the surroundings
Emotions: Feelings such as happiness,love,fear,anger,or hatered.
Did You Know?
- Birds also have arms and legs like us. But their arms are modified into wings, and their legs are modified into claws.
- The hair present on our eyelids is called eyelashes. They prevent dust and other unwanted particles from getting into our eyes.