Health and Safety
Importance of Health and Hygiene for Class 2 EVS
A person's emotional, physical, and mental well-being can be defined as health. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
keeps us from diseases and disorders. We should take care of certain things to maintain the healthy state of our
This concept will explain the importance of health and hygiene.
After going through the concept, learners will be able to:
- Enlist good habits to be included in the daily routine.
- State the importance of healthy habits for a healthy mind and body.
- Understand the importance of cleanliness.
- Suggest some ways to maintain good mental health.
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go
through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Importance of Health and Hygience in PDF format.
- Parents always tell us that health is wealth. Good health is maintained by keeping ourselves clean and fit.
- We should take care of our bodies and their needs. Good healthy habits make us happy.
These habits keep us away from diseases and illness and keep us active.
- Good healthy habits help us to concentrate on our studies and other important activities.
- These habits make us better people.
Children who learn and follow healthy hygiene habits look adorable and are
loved by everyone.
- Children who ignore personal hygiene fall sick now and then. They need to visit the doctor quite often and remain sad and disturbed.
- One needs to follow the following healthy habits-
i) Do not sleep for too long and once you wake up, make the bed tidy. Then brush your teeth properly.
ii) Make a good habit of doing some easy exercises regularly. Then go to the toilet. It is essential to flush the toilet properly.
iii) One should take a bath every day in the morning.
- After the bath, dry yourself and comb your hair nicely.
- Have a healthy breakfast every morning with your family.
1)Wash Your Hands:
- It is important to wash your hands with soap and water before and after meals.
- It avoids the entry of harmful germs into your body.
- We must wash our hands after coming out of the toilet.
- We always have to wash our hands with good soap and water after coming from the toilet.
- This way, we stop the spread of harmful things.
2) Cut the Nails and Hair:
- Long nails get filled with dirt and germs.
- These enter our bodies while we eat.
- Sometimes longer nails cause scratches that harm us.
- Therefore, it is necessary to trim the nails occasionally.
- Similarly, a proper haircut makes you look tidy.
Importance of Cleanliness in the Surrounding
- When you practice cleanliness, you are spreading positivity around you.
- Nobody likes to sit in a room full of litter and garbage! This is because a messy or shabby room invites unwanted hazards.
- Trashing the garbage anywhere other than the dustbin makes everything look bad and spreads germs.
- Therefore, the elderly in the house keeps everything clean and tidy. Have a habit of using the dustbin to throw the trash.
- Follow the same habit when you visit a park or any other public places.
- After using the washrooms in schools or malls, flush the toilet properly.
- Throwing the trash anywhere just for fun wastes the efforts of sweepers who keep the places clean.
- If we sort our trash into decomposable and non-decomposable things, it becomes easy to handle them.
- Following are the ways for cleaning and disposing of the waste at home and in the surroundings.
- Regularly do sweeping, dusting, and mopping of the house.
- The garbage or trash generated in and around the house is then sorted and thrown responsibly.
- The garbage that can be decomposed is used for composting, and the rest is picked up by the garbage truck.
Keeping Your Mind and Body Healthy:
- We feel happy and energetic if both our minds and bodies are healthy.
- To keep ourselves healthy, we must eat fresh vegetables, fruits, milk, eggs, etc.
- Also, we need to engage ourselves in different activities like playing games, solving puzzles, reading books, etc.
- These make our bodies stronger and our minds sharper.
- We need to play in outdoors more than sitting in front of the television or playing mobile games.
- Indoor games like chess or carrom are much better than video games.
Hygiene: Following healthy habits to maintain good health and keep away diseases.
Decomposable: The things that can be broken down into useful compost are called decomposable, like food waste.
Composting: The natural process of recycling leaves and food scraps into fertilisers. These fertilisers enrich the soil and help in plant growth.
Did You Know?
- Sanitizing our hands is necessary, but the overuse of sanitizer can cause harm to our skin.
- Surya Namaskar is an effective type of Yogasana that refreshes our minds and bodies.