All About Me
The Neighbourhood for Class 2 EVS
The areas around our house and the people living there comprise our neighbourhood.
People and places in the neighbourhood are necessary for a comfortable living. The neighbourhood impacts our lifestyle, thinking and emotional development.
This concept will introduce the learners to various places that we see around us.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Define what is neighbourhood.
- Identify neighbourhood places by looking at the pictures.
- Enlist some familiar places in a neighbourhood like:
- Bus stop
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using examples, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through
a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with The Neighbourhood worksheet solutions for the concept Types and parts of plants provided in PDF format.
Meaning of Neighbourhood:
- The places that surround the location where we live make our neighbourhood.
- Several buildings, areas, or places in the neighbourhood are used by us every day for several purposes.
Places in the Neighbourhood:
- It is a place for buying things that are required daily.
- A market may be in the form of a single large store or can comprise separate shops based on the type of things they sell.
- Some specific shops we find in the market are grocery stores, vegetable shops, bakeries, etc.
Examples:Food, grocery, utensils, bathroom essentials, etc.
b) Places of Worship:
- We have different places of worship in our neighbourhood.
- People of different religions go to different places of worship based on their beliefs and culture.
- We go to places of worship to pray and celebrate spiritual occasions and festivals.
Examples:Temples, mosques, churches, gurudwara, etc.
- Hospital is a place we go when we need medical assistance in case of accidents, injuries, or any ailment.
- Doctors and nurses are available at the hospital to give us the medical care we need.
- Banks are meant to deal with the procedures related to money.
- One can get loans, save money or get money using their accounts in a bank.
e) School and College:
- School is the place where we get our elementary education. Our elementary education includes the skills of reading and writing.
- Teachers teach us different subjects using different methods.
- College or university is the place where we go for higher studies after completing our school education.
- The post office deals with services like letter delivery, couriers, and parcels.
- We can send things from one place to another by using the services of the post office and providing a suitable address.
- The postman who delivers our letters or parcels works at the post office.
g) Bus Stop:
- The place where we find the bus services that can be used to commute to different places is called a bus stop.
- We may find the buses to various destinations at a bus stop along with the schedule of their departures and arrival.
h) Railway Station:
- Like a bus stop, the railway station is where we find trains for different destinations and their schedule.
- A railway station is provided with the basic amenities for travellers. There are small food corners, waiting areas, and toilets.
i) Places for Recreation:
We go to several places for recreation and enjoyment with family and friends. Some of them are as follows—
- A police station is where we go to get help in emergencies like theft, accidents, or robbery.
- Police officers are placed at different police stations to maintain law and order in the neighbourhood.
- A library is a place where we can find different books.
- It also provides us with the facility of borrowing and exchanging books.
l)Restaurants and Hotels:
- Restaurants are places where we can enjoy the food of different cuisines.
- We go to restaurants with friends and family to eat or celebrate special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries.
- Hotels also provide the facility to stay along with food. They are used when we go out of the station for holidays.
Maintaining cleanliness in public places:
- One should be responsible for keeping the public areas clean.
- Spitting and throwing unwanted things should not be done in public areas.
- Also, one should not damage any public property.
Worship: An act of respect and honour.
Loan: A sum of money that a person borrows from a bank.
Destination: A place where someone wants to reach or send something.
Did You Know?
- The oldest railway station in India was built in 1887 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It was called Victoria terminus, now named Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.