Common Nouns and Proper Nouns
- A noun is a word that is the name of something. It can be the name of a person, animal, place, thing etc.
- There are different types of nouns, such as common nouns, proper nouns, abstract nouns, and concrete nouns.
We are going to learn about common nouns and proper nouns.
Types of Nouns:
Nouns are further divided into common nouns and proper nouns.
A common noun is the general name of a group of people, place, or thing.
A proper noun is the name of a specific person, place, or thing. It is the specific name given to each person, place, animal or thing.
A proper noun always begins with a capital letter.
- Common nouns are not in capital letters everywhere. Only the initial letter of a common noun is always
written in small letters like aboy, girl, baby, etc. If a sentence begins with a common noun, then it should
be written in capital letters.
- Plants are important for all the living things on the planet.
- Boys and girls play in the playground.
- Irrespective of where a proper noun is placed in the sentence, it should always be in capital letters like Ram, India, Sita. Let’s take a look at the usage of nouns in a sentence.
- Rahul is staying in India for a month.
- Yogesh won the first prize in the international competition held in Australia.
Use this mind map to remember the two types of nouns.