Concept: Opposites Words Search
- Words with an opposite to the meaning of another word, these words are known as antonyms.
- Opposite words can be nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs that can have antonyms or opposite words.
- In the above example, both ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ mean exactly the opposite. Thus, they are called as antonyms.
More About Antonyms
For a better understanding, look at the example given below.
|Word||Antonym 1||Antonym 2||Antonym 3|
Ways to Create Antonyms
- In the instance of some words, an antonym can be created by adding a prefix to the main word.
- A prefix is a letter or a collection of letters which is added at the beginning of the main word.
- Some antonyms are also created by adding the prefix ‘in’ to the main word. The prefix ‘in’ means ‘not’.
- Sometimes, you will find sentences that can have two similar words.
- Ravi thought the picture was bad, but others thought it was good. In the sentence, bad and good are antonyms and are placed in the same sentence.
- Is the cake hard or soft?
In the above sentence, ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ are antonyms and are placed in the same sentence.
Don’t get confused with such antonyms. Make sure you use the right prefix while writing such antonyms.
Correct and Incorrect Usage: