Learn Synonyms in English | Similar Words
This concept will help the students to learn synonyms in English comprehension. They will acquire knowledge of the important synonyms list to understand the topic better. This concept explains why we should use similar words in our sentences.
In this learning concept, the students will learn to:
- Identify same meaning words with different spelling and pronunciation.
- Find some common mistakes mentioned that needs to be avoided while using synonyms.
Each concept is explained to class 2 English students using examples, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go
through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Learn Synonyms in English provided in PDF format.
When the meaning of two words is the same, but they have different spelling and pronunciation, they are called synonyms.
- In the above example, both ‘Small’ and ‘Tiny’ have the same meaning, but their pronunciation and spelling are different.
- The same can be observed with the words ‘Big’ and ‘Huge’, which have the same meaning but they differ in their pronunciation and spelling.
Find Many Synonyms
A single word can have more than one synonym or the same meaning words.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common synonyms.
Why Should We Use Same Meaning Words?
- Sometimes synonyms are used in the text to introduce a difficult word to the reader. This makes learning new words interesting.
- Thus, using a synonym can improve your writing.
- The use of synonyms also allows you to make your sentences clear about their meaning.
We saw a large house standing next to the temple. The house was big enough to have ten rooms.
Here, large and big are synonyms. They both have the same meaning.
However, using synonyms has helped to avoid the repetition of words.
Don’t confuse synonyms or similar meaning words with antonyms or words with the opposite meaning. Remember, antonyms are different meaning words, and synonyms refer to the same meaning words.