Double Vowels Words for Class 2 English
The students will learn many double vowel words in English vocabulary. They will read many examples, and a list of words that has double vowel sounds in each on of them.
In this learning concept, the students will:
- Revise the concept of vowels in English.
- Find out the vowel sounds in words.
Each concept is explained to class 2 English students using examples, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Spelling provided in PDF format.
What are double Vowels in English:
- When a word has two vowels in the spelling that is one after another, it is known as double vowels.
- In such cases, you can only hear the pronunciation of the first vowel.
Let’s Look at Vowels in English
- Out of the 26 alphabets in English language, five of them which includes A, E, I, O, U, are known as vowels.
- The vowel sounds are different to consonants sounds.
Example of Words with double vowels:
- In the word ‘Goat’, there are two vowels together ‘oa’. However, the there is a single sound for both the vowels.
- In the other word, ‘Peach’ there are two vowels together ‘ea’ and these letters make one sound.
Let’s take a look at some of the words that has double vowels.
Double Vowel Rule
- Double vowels with ‘oa’: When two vowels are next to each other, the first vowel usually has a longer sound and the second vowel is silent.
- Double vowels with ‘ie’: The letters ‘ie’ used in the word usually have the letter ‘i’ pronunciation stressed more than the letter ‘e’.
In the word ‘road’, ‘oa’ are two vowels. However, the pronunciation is of ‘a’ is silent and the pronunciation of ‘o’ can be heard.
In the word ‘pie’, the letters ‘ie’ are two vowels. However, the pronunciation is of ‘i’ and ‘e’ is silent.
In words that have two ‘o’ together (oo), you don’t make a long sound.
In the above, two words, ‘book’ and ‘wool’, there are two ‘o’ which is a vowel, but the pronunciation of two ‘o’ is short.