Building New Vocabulary Words for Class 2 English
In this concept, the students will learn to build new vocabulary words by reading about different parts of speech in words. They will also learn about action words with pictures, naming words and sound words that are used in the English language. Moreover, they will learn some common mistakes that they shouldn’t make while using these words.
In this learning concept, the students will learn:
- To identify animal sounds in words.
- About common mistakes while using new words.
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using illustrations, examples, and mind maps. You can assess your
learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check the solutions for the concept, Vocabulary is provided in PDF format.
- Vocabulary refers to one word or collection of words in a language.
- With the help of vocabulary, one can read and write.
- Without knowing the meaning of the words, one cannot read or write a text.
There are various types of words in the English language. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Types of Words
Action Words with Pictures
- Let’s play football.
- My mother loves to cook.
- Place names: city, state, country, island, river, etc.
- Names of people: parents, grandmother, postman, teacher, etc.
- Animal names: bear, dog, cat, alligator, lion, bird, wolf, etc.
- Names of things: tree, table, chair, iron, seat, etc.
Action words are the ones that explain the action done by the person. It tells us what a person is doing.
In the above sentence, ‘play’ is the action word that explains the action in the sentence.
In the above sentence, ‘cook’ is the action word that explains the action in the sentence.
Words that show the name of a person, place, animal or thing are called naming words or nouns. Learning to group these words into names for people, places, or things will help you remember the words better.
Sound words refer to those words that describe the various sounds around us.
Let’s take a look at a list of vocabulary related to various sounds of animals.
Ways to Build Vocabulary
- There are many words which has multiple meanings, take a look at the meaning of those words. Try to remember the meaning of the words as this will help you to learn more words.
- Try to learn more about the root word. Whenever, you come across a new word, try to learn more about that word. Look for its meaning, similar words, etc.
- There are many words whose meaning changes when a prefix is added to them. This will help you to learn two words at one time.
The word ‘right’ has two meanings. It means ‘direction’ and ‘correct’.
Meaning of scared – Frightened
Similar word for scared – Afraid.
After joining the prefix ‘un’ to the main word ‘happy’, we get a new word ‘unhappy’.
Don’t get confused with describing words and other types of words. Some words can sound confusing, like the words ‘farther’ and ‘further’.These words have different meanings and are used in different contexts. They might sound similar, but they have different meanings. This is a common mistake that people often make.
- Rima was five meters farther away from school than Neha.
- There is a chance for further improvement.
Farther’ is used to refer to a measurable difference. In the above sentence, the word ‘farther’ has been used to refer to the difference in distance between Rima and Neha.
On the other hand, ‘further’ talks about more distance. In the above sentence, the word ‘further’ has been used to refer that there is a chance for more improvement.