Position Words in English for Class 2: What is Near it?
In this concept, the students will learn about position words in English that talks about the position of a person, animal, or thing. Some of the most commonly used position words are also listed here.
You will learn the following from this concept:
- To use words position words such as next to, in front of, in between, inside, outside, beside in the correct way in a sentence.
- To avoid common mistakes while using these position words.
Every concept is taught to class 2 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the position words worksheet for class 2 given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept position words II provided in PDF format.
What are Position Words?
- Position words are those words and phrases in the sentence that refer to the position of a thing or people.
- These words are also known as ‘prepositions’ in English grammar.
- Next to
- His house is next to mine.
- Jai is sleeping next to his puppy.
- In front of
- An old man was sitting in front of me.
- I kicked the ball which was in front of me.
- In between
- My car was parked in between two trucks.
- A big slice of tomato was in between the sandwich.
- Your toys are kept inside the box.
- My clothes are inside the cupboard.
- He was waiting for me outside the house.
- My car is parked outside the garage.
- Neeta sat beside Ravi during lunch.
- The cat sat beside me while I waited for the train.
We use ‘next to’ when the position of something is right beside something or somebody.
The word ‘in front of’ is a position word which tells us that something is placed in front of a thing or a person.
We use ‘in between’ to refer to an object or person which is in the middle of two things.
The word inside is used to talk about the position of something or someone that is located in the interior area of something.
The word outside is used to talk about the position of something or someone that is located in the exterior area of something.
Beside is a position word that refers to something which is next to or at the side of another thing.
Remember, after a position word, there will always be a noun or a pronoun in the sentence. Don’t place any other parts of speech after the position words while making a sentence.
|1.||He is standing in front of the door||in front of|
|2.||She lives next to my house||next to|