Concept: Where Is It Placed?
- Position words refers to those words and phrases that tells us about the position of people or things.
- Position words are very common and you will come across these words on a daily basis.
Let's take a look at some of the most common position words:
- The dog sat on the table.
- The boy was hiding under the bed.
- The wall is very high to climb over it.
- His house is near my school.
The word ‘under’ is used to speak about something that is lower than another thing.
The word ‘over’ is used to speak about movement or position of something at a greater level than another thing.
The position word ‘near’ means something which ‘is close’ to another thing.
The word below means when something is lower in place or rank than another thing.
We use ‘in’ as a position word to refer to any location or position within a specific area.
‘On’ is used to speak about the position of something that is on top of another thing.
The word ‘after’ actually means a time that follows a certain period or specific point in time.
- After finishing lunch, he came to my house.
- She came here after me.
There is often confusion between the position words ‘In’ and ‘Into’. ‘Into’ is used to express any movement toward something. ‘In’ is used to express a location.