Prefixes and Suffixes
Words Ending in Ing for Class 2 English
In this concept, the students will learn how prefixes and suffixes are added to the main word to give it a new meaning. Students will find out how words ending in ing are formed with the help of suffixes.
In this learning concept, the students will learn to:
- Create ing words by adding the ing suffix.
- Find common mistakes made while using ing words.
- Understand exceptions to the rule of a prefix and suffix.
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using illustrations, examples, and mind maps. You can assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check the solutions for the concept, Words ending in ing are provided in PDF format.
Definition of Suffix and Prefix
- A suffix is the part of a word that joins at the end of a main word to give a new meaning to the newly formed word.
- A prefix is the part of a word that is joined at the beginning of a main word to give a new meaning.
Make Ing Suffix Words
- Adding a suffix changes the entire meaning and context of the word.
- When the ‘ing’ suffix is added, the new word formed can be verbs or nouns.
- We add the suffix -ing to the verb in the sentence. Adding ‘ing’ to verbs makes the word into the continuous tense.
- In the first example mentioned, ‘build’ is the base word and ‘ing’ is the suffix that we will add. After adding ‘ing’, we get the word ‘building’.
- In the second example, ‘walk’ is the base word and ‘ing’ is the suffix that we will add. After adding ‘ing’, we get the word ‘walking’.
While adding the ‘ing’ to the main word, make sure to keep the main word the same. Don’t change the spelling of the word.
Learn about ing Words with e Exception
In some words, if there is an ‘e’ at the end of the main word, then the ‘e’ will be omitted after adding ‘ing’.