3-Digit Number for Class 2 Math
In this learning concept, the students will learn about class 2, 3- digit numbers. They will learn about consecutive numbers.
In this learning concept, the students will learn to
- Identify the smallest three-digit number and the greatest three-digit number.
- Expressing 3- digit numbers in numerals and words
- Relate the use of the 3-digit number in real-life
Each concept of a 3-digit number is explained to class 2 maths students using illustrations, examples, and mind
maps. Students can assess their learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the pages’ end.
Download the 3-digit number worksheet for class 2 and check the solutions for the concept of numbers provided in PDF format.
A number is an arithmetic value used for representing the quantity and in making calculations.
- The numbers which are continuously following each other in the order of smallest to greatest are called consecutive numbers.
Numbers like 101, 102, 103, 104, …etc are called consecutive numbers.
Here we will discuss 3 - digit numbers. We start counting three-digit numbers from 100.
Smallest Three-Digit Number
- The greatest two-digit number is 99 and 100 comes just after 99.
- 3-Digit numbers start from 100. It is the smallest 3-digit number.
- The number 100 is important for counting. We can represent 100 as a group to make counting easy.
Examples:100 can be represented using a 10 by 10 chocolate bar.
So, 236 can be represented by
2 boxes of 10 by 10 chocolate bars, 1 boxes of 5 by 5 chocolate bars, 1 boxes of 5 by 2 chocolate bars and 1 chocolate piece
Using ten rupees notes we can also count 100.
Read and Write 3-digit Numbers in Numerals and Words
- According to their values, the three digits are placed from right to left at one’s place, ten’s place, and hundred’s place respectively.
- To read and write numbers beyond 100, we can proceed in the same way as we have done it for 2-digit numbers.
|Hundred’s In Word|
|Range||Numerals||Numbers in word|
|100 – 199||100, 101, 102, ….,199||One hundred, One hundred One, One hundred Two, ….,One hundred Ninety-Nine|
|200 – 299||200, 201, 202, …, 299||Two Hundred, Two hundred One, Two hundred Two, …., Two hundred Ninety-Nine|
|300 – 399||300, 301, 302, …, 399||Three hundred, Three hundred One, Three hundred Two, …., Three hundred Ninety-Nine|
|400 – 499||400, 401, 402, …, 499||Four hundred, Four hundred One, Four hundred Two, …., Four hundred Ninety-Nine|
|500 – 599||500, 501, 502, …, 599||Five hundred, Five hundred One, Five hundred Two, …., Five hundred Ninety-Nine|
|600 – 699||600, 601, 602, …, 699||Six hundred, Six hundred One, Six hundred Two, …., Six hundred Ninety-Nine|
|700 – 799||700, 701, 702, …, 799||Seven hundred, Seven hundred One, Seven hundred Two, …., Seven hundred Ninety-Nine|
|800 – 899||800, 801, 802, …, 899||Eight hundred, Eight hundred One, Eight hundred Two, …., Eight hundred Ninety-Nine|
|900 – 999||900, 901, 902, …, 999||Nine hundred, Nine hundred One, Nine hundred Two, …., Nine hundred Ninety-Nine|
Example : Write these numbers in words.
456, 897, 733, 998
|456||Four Hundred and Fifty-Six|
|897||Eight Hundred and Ninety-Seven|
|733||Seven Hundred and Thirty-three|
|998||Nine Hundred and Ninety-Eight|
Greatest Three-Digit Number
The Greatest 3-Digit number is 999.
In words, 999 is written as Nine Hundred Ninety-Nine.
Uses in Real Life
In our real life we have seen uses of 3-Digit numbers of various kinds. The three-digit number are seen.
- In the notes
- Weights used in the shops
- In the strips of medicine informing about the amount of a certain drug etc.
Following pictures are given for example to show how 3-digit numbers are useful in daily life.