Time, Space and Direction
An Idea About Time for Class 2 Science
The continuous sequence of events that cannot be reversed is time. The devices used to check time have changed
gradually over the years. The clocks we see at present help us know about time.
We divide a day into morning, afternoon, evening and night based on time. The concept below will give a broad idea about time to the learners.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Define what is time.
- Mention the types of clock.
- Identify the parts of an analog clock.
- Differentiate between the clockwise and anti-clockwise directions.
- State the time by looking at an analog clock.
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go
through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept An idea about time provided in PDF format.
What Is Time?
- Time is nothing but the sequence of several events taking place.
- Broadly, time can be divided into the following—
- Time and its changes can be determined by days, weeks and years.
- Earlier, the position of the sun was used to determine the time.
- At present, clocks are used to determine time.
Know About the Time:
- Morning starts with the sunrise.
- It is the period between midnight and noon.
Activities That We Do in the Morning:
- The position of the sun is above our head in the afternoon. The sunlight is brightest at noon.
- It is the period after morning and before evening.
Activities That We Do in the Afternoon:
- The sun sets in the evening.
- All kinds of birds and animals return to their nests during this time.
- We can see the moon in the evening.
- It is the period after the afternoon and before night.
Activities that we do in the evening:
- With the sunset arrives the night.
- We can see the twinkling stars in the sky at night
- This is the period between evening and morning.
Activities That We Do at Night:
Clock—Types and Uses:
- We use clocks to check the time.
- Time can be measured in hours, minutes and seconds.
Types of Clocks:
Clocks can be categorised into the following types-
Parts of an Analog Clock:
- The longer hand of the clock is called the minute hand as it tells us the minute.
- The shorter hand of the clock is called the hour hand as it tells us the hour.
- You may see another hand which is called the second hand; this hand tells about the second.
- The direction in which the hands of the clock move is called clockwise direction.
- The direction opposite to the clockwise direction is called the anti-clockwise direction.
How to Check the Time?
- When the minute hand touches 12, that is called O ‘clock.
- When the minute hand touches 6 it is called half past.
- When the minute hand touches 3 that is called quarter past.
- When the minute hand touches 9 that is called quarter to.
Snack: A type of meal that is light on our stomach.
Twinkling: Something that shines from bright to faint.
Did You Know?
The minute hand moves faster than the hour hand, and the second hand moves
faster than the minute hand in an analogue clock.
From 12 O’ clock midnight to 12 O’ clock noon, we add A.M. after the
time as it is before noon.
From 12 O’ clock noon to 12 O’ clock midnight, we add P.M. after time
as it is after noon.