Food We Get from Animals for Class 2 Science
Animals are an essential source of food for us. Some animals that we raise for food are fish, chicken, pig, lamb, etc. Different freshwater (like rohu fish) and saltwater fish (like pomfret fish) are consumed by people.
The following concept will introduce the learners to various food items we get from animals.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Enlist different milk products.
- Know about the animal that provides veal.
- Differentiate between red meat and white meat.
- Name different fish products we eat.
- Give examples of frozen food products.
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Food We Get from Animals provided in PDF format.
- We get varieties of nutritious food from animals.
- We get food from the farm animals.
- These farm animals are reared for animal products used by us.
Examples:Cows, pigs, goats, turkeys, chickens, and many more.
Food We Get from Animals:
- Milk is rich in calcium and proteins.
- We get milk from cows, sheep, buffalo, and goats.
- Milk makes our bones strong and helps in the growth and development of the body.
- It is a staple food for infants as it is rich in protein.
- Yoghurt is made from milk.
- It is rich in protein and contains microbes that are good for the gut.
- Different types of cheese can be prepared from the milk of cows, buffalo, sheep, and goats.
- Cheese is rich in protein.
- It is used to prepare dishes like pizza, burgers, pasta, sandwiches, and many more.
- Paneer is also a milk product.
- It is rich in protein and used to make curries.
- Curd is thicker than yoghurt and derived from milk.
- It is rich in calcium and protein.
- Curd is used for marination, making dips and sauces
- Eating curd is good for health as it has many health benefits—curd makes our bones and teeth strong.
v)Butter and Ghee:
- Both butter and ghee are milk products.
- These are used for frying and added to sweet and savoury dishes.
- Meat is of two types, red meat and white meat.
- White meat is healthier and easy to digest.
- The meat we get from animals is called red meat.
Examples:Beef, pork, ham, camel, veal, lamb, buffalo etc.
- The meat we get from birds is called white meat.
Examples:Turkey, chicken, duck etc.
Different Types of Meat:
- Chicken is a type of white meat.
- Varieties of chicken are available, like poultry or free-range.
- Chicken is rich in protein and is used to prepare curries, grilled food items, burgers, sandwiches and many more.
- Turkey tastes almost like chicken.
- Turkey is a type of white meat.
- Roasted turkey is a signature dish prepared during the Christmas holidays.
- Many kinds of grilled meat dishes are also prepared from turkey.
- Beef is a type of red meat.
- Cattle meat is known as beef, which is very high in protein.
- Beef is a rich meat that takes time to digest.
- Beef is used to make curries, steaks, grills, burgers and many more.
iv)Veal and Lamb:
- Both veal and lamb are examples of red meat.
- Veal is produced from calves, while lamb meat is made from sheep.
- Pork meat is produced by pigs, and is a type of red meat.
- It is used to prepare many meat preparations like sticky pork, pork curry, vindaloo, pork belly in sauces and many more.
- Pork meat is also used to produce sausages, bacon and salami.
- Eggs are rich in proteins
- They help in the growth and development of the body.
- We get eggs from birds like chickens, ducks and other birds.
- Eggs are either boiled or poached before consumption.
- Fish is a rich source of protein.
- We eat many food items like fish curry, grilled fish, fried fish, baked fish and many more.
- There are two types of fishes’ freshwater and saltwater
Examples:Some freshwater fishes are trout, rohu, catla and many more.
Examples:Some saltwater fishes are cod, tuna, salmon, herring, pomfret etc.
Frozen Food Products:
Some animal food products are kept at a very low temperature, otherwise, they get spoiled due to the action of microbes. These are called frozen food products. Yoghurt, fish nugget, sausage, etc., are some of the animal food products that are stored in frozen form.
Protein: Proteins help in muscle development and body growth.
Digestion: It is a process that helps transform complex food into simple food.
Nutrients: The essential substances found in our food which are used by our body for various reasons.
Poultry: A process of raising birds on a large scale.
Did You Know?
- All types of animal-derived food are rich in proteins.
- Ham is raw and preserved pork that is popular among Spanish people.