Things We Make, Play and Do
Games We Play for Class 3 EVS
Games and sports are important for physical and mental development. Every game has a set of rules to follow. The
number of players in a game varies.
This concept will introduce the learners to the types of games played.
After reading the concept students will be able to:
- State the importance of games.
- Enlist indoor games and outdoor games.
- Identify court games and field games.
- Give examples of board games.
- Name some famous sports personalities of India and the National Sports Awards.
Each concept is explained to class 2 students using descriptions, illustrations, and concept maps. After you go
through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Games We Play provided in PDF format.
A game can be defined as an activity done for fun and amusement. It can involve a single person or multiple persons at the same time.
Importance of Games:
- Games are essential for the overall development of children.
- Participating in games helps them develop a sense of coordination between their brains and muscles.
- Games develop a team spirit and promote friendship and understanding between the peer group.
- They help in the development of decision-making skills in children.
- Games build confidence in children, which prepares them for several skills later in life.
Types of Games:
Based on where they are played, games can be broadly classified into two groups—indoor and outdoor games.
1. Indoor games:
- The games that can be played inside the house are called indoor games.
- They can be board games, card games, role-playing games, and skill games.
a) Board Games:
- These games involve the use of a flat structure designed specifically based on the pattern of the game.
- The players use their dice and move them on the board while they play the game.
- Board games can involve 2 to 4 players at a time. Few games like scrabble can involve more than 4 players too.
b) Role-playing Games:
- Some games are played based on the given clue and an act. These games can involve many players at a time. A typical example is dumb charades.
- Other games that can be enjoyed indoors are as follows—
2. Outdoor Games:
- The games that are played outside, either on the ground or on open courts, are called outdoor games.
a) Court games:
- A court is an area with marked dimensions and is generally used to play games.
- Every court game has its own rules and markings on the court.
b) Field Games:
- The games which are played on large open grounds are called field games.
- Different games have different types of field requirements.
- Some other outdoor games are kho-kho, kabaddi, rugby, lacrosse, etc.
Famous Sports Personalities of India:
Some people have put a lot of effort into glorifying sports in our country. They have brought honour to our country by winning titles at various events. A few such personalities are mentioned below—
1. Sania Mirza:
- She is a professional tennis player.
- She has won 6 major titles and is one of the two Indian women to win a WTA tour title.
- She was named one of the 50 heroes of Asia in October 2005 by Time magazine.
2. Kapil Dev:
- He is a former Indian cricketer.
- He captained the Indian Cricket Team in the 1983 Cricket World Cup, in which India won the title.
- He has been honoured with Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan for his contribution to Indian cricket.
3. Saina Nehwal:
- She is a professional badminton player who won 24 international titles.
- She has been awarded the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna and Arjuna Awards.
A list of some other famous sports personalities and the games they are related to is given below—
|S.no.||Name||Sports they play|
|e.||Milkha Singh (Also called The Flying Sikh)||Sprint|
National Sports Awards:
National Sports Awards is the collective name given to 6 sports awards of our country. They are presented by the honourable President o annually under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
The awards included are as follows—
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy
- Arjuna Award
- Dronacharya Award
- Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna
- Dhyan Chand Award
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar
Confidence: Feeling sure about yourself and your abilities
Team spirit: The attitude that allows people to work well together.
Dimensions: Measurable factors like length, breadth, height, etc.
Did You Know?
- Sports have been played in outer space. In 1971, a golf ball was hit by Alan Shephard, and Edgar Mitchell threw a javelin on the Moon.
- Some of the oldest sports considered in the world are wrestling, running, javelin throwing, polo and hockey
- The longest tennis match went on for 11 hours and 5 minutes. It was played between John Isner of the USA and Nicolas Mahut from France.
- The first modern Olympic Games were held in Greece in 1986, but the participants were only men. The first Olympic Games to allow women athletes were in Paris, in 1900.