Family and Shelter
Our Family for Class 3 EVS
A group of people living together, support and enjoy many things with each other is called a family. Family members in a family shows different relations among them. As per the number of people in the fammily, there are different types of families. The students will also learn about resemlnaces and traits in the family.
After reading the concept, students will be able to:
- Answer what is a nuclear family.
- Enlist the types of family.
- Understand the significance of customs in a family.
These and other things in this concept are explained to class 3 students using descriptions, illustrations, and
concept maps. After you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets given at
the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Our Family provided in PDF format.
What Is a Family?
People living together in the same house and are related to each other consist of a family. In a family, there are people of different ages and gender. Some family members are elderly (grandparents, parents, uncle, aunt, etc.) while some are younger (brother, sister, cousins, nephew, niece, etc.).
Family Members and the Relationship Among Them:
|You||Family Member||Relationship With You|
|Parents||Father and Mother|
|A daughter of your parents who is elder or younger than you||Sister|
|A son of your parents who is elder or younger than you||Brother|
|Father and mother of your parents||Grandfather and Grandmother|
|Brother of your parent||Uncle|
|Sister of your parent||Aunt|
|Son of your brother or sister||Nephew|
|Daughter of your sibling||Niece|
|Children of your uncle or aunt||Cousins|
Types of a Family:
A family can be either big or small. Depending on the number of members present, a family can be of two types—A nuclear family and a joint family.
1. What is a Nuclear Family:
- A family in which the father, mother, and children live together is called a nuclear family.
2. Joint Family:
- A family in which the child lives in a house along with their parents, siblings, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins is called a joint family.
Resemblance Among Family Members:
- We often find resemblances among family members.
- It can be a similarity in looks, habits or behaviour.
- Resemblances in looks can be observed between father and daughter, mother and son, or siblings.
- Such resemblances can also be seen between your parents and their siblings.
- The characteristics that we get from our parents, like skin colour, hair type, hair colour, eyes, etc., are called traits.
Example:If either parent has black curly hair, the child may get the same hair colour and hair type from its parent.
- These are specific practices and traditions followed by the members of a family.
- Family customs are different for different families.
- These customs help create bonding among family members.
Example:Performing religious rituals, eating meals together as a family, and celebrating festivals.
What Does Our Family Teach Us?
- Being a part of a family makes us happy and gives us the confidence to do our work.
- Family teaches us the importance of sharing things and getting along with others.
- We learn different things from our parents and elders.
- Families teach us to be responsible and helpful.
- In case of any trouble, the family members are there to help you.
- Lastly, all members share the household chores so that the family runs smoothly.
Elders in the Family:
- Elders form an important component of the family.
- Elders teach us, share their experiences and take care of us.
- We should be polite with them, learn from them, and help them whenever possible.
- We must respect our elders.
Rituals: Activities related to something that is performed by a person daily.
Did You Know?
- The word ‘family’ originates from the Latin word ‘famulus’.
- Female elephants live in big groups called herds throughout their entire life.
- Among penguins, it is the duty of the father to take care of the egg while the mother goes out to hunt for food.