Family and Shelter
Concept: Our Home
What is a Home and a House?
- A place where someone lives with their family is called a home.
- A place of living, which is made up of walls, roof, and floor using different materials, is called a house.
Need for a house:
We need a house for the following reasons—
- It protects us from bright sunlight, heavy thunderstorms, and rainfall.
- It also protects us from wild animals, thieves and animals.
A house offers us a place to stay together with our family.
Parts of a house:
The different parts of a house are described below—
1. Living room:
It is usually the biggest room of any house, where the family comes together to spend time and relax. They talk, watch TV, read newspapers or books and receive the guests.
Things one might find in a living room are—
- Decorative items
It is a room that is specifically used for cooking food.
Things one might find in a kitchen are—
- Utensils for cooking
- Gas oven
- Plates, spoons, and glasses
- Knife and Chopping board
- Appliances like microwave oven, mixer, refrigerator, etc.
- Dishwashing liquid
It is the room where we take rest and sleep.
Things one might find in a bedroom are—
- Dressing table
- A small table and a chair
4. Dining room:
It is where the whole family gets together to have food at any time of the day. A dining room may be a part of the living room or a kitchen or a separate room.
Things one might find in a dining room are—
- Dining table
- Plates, spoons, and glasses
5. Study room:
It is the room used for studying, doing office work, using the computer and reading.
Things one might find in a study room are—
- Books and bookshelves
- Desk lamps
6. Toilet and Bathroom:
The toilet is a room that has a toilet, and the bathroom has a washbasin, shower, and sometimes a bathtub. These are very important for a house as they help us maintain hygiene and cleanliness.
Things one might find in a toilet and bathroom are—
- Soap, shampoo, hair and body oil
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Waste basket
- Cleaning liquid and brush
Keeping the house clean:
- We need to keep our house neat and clean.
- A dirty house invites germs that can make us sick.
- So, we should help our family members in keeping the house clean by—
- Putting our books and toys in place.
- Folding our clothes and keeping them in the cupboard.
- Throwing garbage in the wastebasket.
- Keeping the bathroom clean by flushing the toilet and not splashing water unnecessarily.
- Helping in mopping and sweeping the floors.
Decorating the house:
- We like to decorate our house with different ornamental things like curtains, flowers, decorative items, paintings, wall hangings, plants, etc.
- We also decorate our house, especially during the festivals, like putting up a Rangoli, lighting the house with diyas, using toran of flowers and mango leaves, lights, decorative bells and stars, and many more.
Cabinet: A cupboard which has shelves and drawers for keeping things.
Ornamental: Something decorative.
Did You Know?
A tribal painting art called Warli Chitrakari originated from the tribal regions of Maharashtra’. Nowadays, this art form is used to decorate the walls of many buildings and houses.