Letter Writing II
Concept: Informal Letter
- An informal letter, also known as a friendly letter, is a personal letter written to friends or relatives. You can write an informal letter to anyone with whom you share a friendly relationship.
- An informal letter can be used to convey messages or news, giving suggestions or advice, congratulating the receiver on an achievement, requesting any detail, etc.
- It is a personal letter, written to whom you know well, like siblings, friends, parents, or any other person whom you are close to.
Format of an Informal Letter
Address:Do not forget to write the first thing to write
in a formal letter is your address on the left-hand side of the page, i.e.
the address of the sender or the writer. It must be accurate and complete.
58/1, Jadavpur Central Rd, Jadavpur,
Kolkata, West Bengal -700032
Date:The date must be mentioned just below the address in
expanded form on the left-hand-side of the page.
February 28, 2022
Salutation/ Greeting:An informal greeting for someone you
are close to.
- Dear Grandma,
- Dear Mom
- Dear Reyansh
- First Paragraph:This paragraph sets the tone for the letter. Mention why you are writing the letter. Keep the introductory paragraph casual.
- Body:The letter should have a friendly tone if it is for a friend. You must be respectful when it is for an elderly. Just remember how you talk to the person and then apply the same feelings to the letter.
- Conclusion:In the final paragraph summarize the letter. Do not forget to mention a loving goodbye to the reader.
Signature:No strict format to sign off. Some commonly
used phrases are ‘Lots of love’, ‘Best Wishes, ‘Kind Regards’, ‘Kindly’.
Thereafter mention your name.
Your loving friend,
- Once you finish writing your letter, read it thoroughly. Check for spelling or grammatical mistakes.
- Do not write the reader or the receiver’s address inside the letter.
- Don’t write a subject while writing an informal letter.
- Do not forget to write a closing expression and signature as they are essential parts of a formal letter.