Story Sequence in English for Class 4
Students will learn to about story sequence that will help to understand the introduction, middle, and conclusion of any story. In this concept, students will learn sequence of events in the story in the right order. There is an explanation of sequencing with examples and picture.
In this learning concept, the students will learn:
- To identify sequencing signal words.
- To find the sequence by reading the text.
Every concept is taught to class 4 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through a concept, assess your learning by solving the two printable sequencing worksheets given at the end of the page.
Download the worksheets and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept Sequencing a Story provided in PDF format.
- Sequencing information in the text is the process of arranging events in a specific order.
- Sequencing helps the students to understand the importance of sequencing the events things in the right order.
- Sequencing helps to understand how the task is performed in a step-by-step manner.
- It is all about constructing a logical flow of the events in the story.
This is Reema. Reema is a disciplined girl. She sleeps on time. Every
morning, she wakes up at 6:30 in the morning. Then she bathes soon after
The events taking place in the above passage are in the order of the activities the character Reema does every day.
How to Identify Sequence When Reading?
- One of the simple ways to recognize the order of events is to look out for sequencing words that are used to connect different parts of the text.
- Another easy rule is to find out the beginning, middle, and end of the text.
- Some words or phrases also provide an indication of where they will be located.
Sequencing Signal Words
- There are a wide variety of signal words, and the following represent just a few of the most common words. Some of these signal words include:
|Once upon a time/ Once there was||Meanwhile||In the end|
|In the beginning||After that||Finally|
|First of all||Suddenly||After all|
Following the right sequence is the key to ordering information in a correct manner. Observe the ideas or actions that carefully are placed first, then second, and last. Don’t use the wrong sequence.