- An adjective is a part of speech (word) that modifies (describes) a noun .it gives more information about the noun or a pronoun
adjectives tell what
kind, which one and how many
- In sentence a) silly word gives more information on Sam which is a noun hence silly is an adjective.
- similarly in b) and c ) the word beautiful describes Mary and huge describes mansion .
Adjectives can be divide in two main categories:
- Adjective of quality
- Adjective of number
1)Adjective of Quality
- Adjective of quality describes or give more information on the quality, kind or degree of the person or thing.
- They are also termed as Descriptive adjectives
When we use more than one adjective before a noun we put adjectives in a
- Opinion- opinion means what are we thinking about something eg., attitude or behaviour.
- Size-size means how tall or short something is eg. large,big,small,tiny,huge etc.
- Age –age tells how old is he or she.eg old, young, new, antique.
- Shape/weight-tells us about the shape of a thing. weight tells the weight of something.
- Colour-colour tells us the approximate colour of something.eg, red, black, white etc.
- Origin- origin tells us where something is from.eg Italian, Spanish etc.
- Pattern-it tells us a design of something.eg., striped, checked etc.
- Material-it tells us what the thing is made up of? eg, silver, wooden, silk, paper etc.
2)Adjective of Number
Adjective of number indicates how many person, things are meant and what order they stand.
The adjective of number can be further categorised into definite and indefinite adjectives.
Definite numeral adjective states exact number or position of people or things.
Indefinite numerals adjective is an adjective to describe noun which is not specific. They do not state or mention exact number of things or people.
Words like some, little, enough, all, any, whole is used for uncountable nouns only.
- I drank a few milk.
- I drank some milk.