Adjective of Quality for Class 4 English
Words that describe quality are known as adjectives of quality. It is used to convey the quality of the noun. In
this chapter, students will learn the definition, types with examples, and common errors that occur while using
From this learning concept, students will study:
- Types of Adjectives and examples.
- Adjectives of quality definition with examples.
- Adjectives of number definition with examples.
- Sub-types of adjectives of numbers with examples.
All the learning concepts for Class 4 consist of information, concept maps, illustrations, and examples. Students can check their understanding by attempting to solve the two PDF adjective of quality worksheet that consist of grade-specific exercises. The solutions to these are also available in PDF format.
- An adjective is a part of speech (word) that modifies (describes) a noun .it gives more information about the noun or a pronoun
- adjectives tell what kind, which one and how many
- In sentence a) silly word gives more information on Sam which is a noun hence silly is an adjective.
- similarly in b) and c ) the word beautiful describes Mary and huge describes mansion .
Adjectives can be divided in two main categories:
- Adjective of quality
- Adjective of number
1)Adjective of Quality
- Adjective of quality describes or give more information on the quality, kind or degree of the person or thing.
- They are also termed as Descriptive adjectives
- When we use more than one adjective before a noun we put adjectives in a specific order.
- Opinion- opinion means what are we thinking about something eg., attitude or behaviour.
- Size-size means how tall or short something is eg. large,big,small,tiny,huge etc.
- Age –age tells how old is he or she.eg old, young, new, antique.
- Shape/weight-tells us about the shape of a thing. weight tells the weight of something.
- Colour-colour tells us the approximate colour of something.eg, red, black, white etc.
- Origin- origin tells us where something is from.eg Italian, Spanish etc.
- Pattern-it tells us a design of something.eg., striped, checked etc.
- Material-it tells us what the thing is made up of? eg, silver, wooden, silk, paper etc.
2) Adjective of Number
Adjective of number indicates how many person, things are meant and what order they stand.
The adjective of number can be further categorised into definite and indefinite adjectives.
Definite numeral adjective states exact number or position of people or things.
- Indefinite numerals
Indefinite numerals adjective is an adjective to describe noun which is not specific. They do not state or mention exact number of things or people.
Words like some, little, enough, all, any, whole is used for uncountable nouns only.
- I drank a few milk.
- I drank some milk.