Antonyms & Synonyms
Make Use of Synonyms for Class 4 English
Enhance your English vocabulary with synonyms. In this chapter, explore synonym definition, examples and more. Learn the common mistakes that could occur while using similar meaning words in English.
In this learning concept, the students will learn:
- To identify synonym clues.
- Make use of synonyms in regular communication.
- Some synonyms words list.
This concept has been explained using illustrations, examples, and concept maps. They can assess their skills by trying to solve the two printable synonyms worksheet for class 4 given at the end of the page. Download the synonyms worksheet with answers provided in PDF format.
What are Synonyms?
- The word synonyms–‘syn’-meaning same and ‘ ‘nym’ meaning name.
- A synonym is a word that has the same meaning as another word.
- It can be two or more words or even complete expressions, in the same language.
The walk has identical meanings like ‘stroll’, go, saunter, etc.,
Jump has an identical meaning like ‘leap’, hop’ skip’
- Words that are similar but not identical are called synonyms.
- Words that have opposite in their meaning are called antonyms.
- With so many words. We have examples of some commonly used synonyms list:
Words have three similar meanings.
|fortunate||Favorable, lucky, happy|
What are Synonym Clues?
- Synonym clues are provided by the author when he uses more than one word that means the same. There may be a more difficult word followed by a rephrasing of a simpler word that will assist you in deciphering the meaning of unknown words.
- A text provides synonyms of the unknown word to signal the meaning of the unfamiliar word.
- The Doctor’s writing was utterly illegible; no one could read the scribbles.
- It was an idyllic day – A sunny, warm, and peaceful walk in the park.
How do we Identify Synonym Clues?
- Notice the unknown word and then look through the sentence before and after the word.
- Now predict the meaning you have understood and connect it with the text.
- Lastly, reread the sentence using your prediction.
Similar words are two different words that have the same meaning. But those two or more different words have to be a pair of noun-noun or verb-verb. It can’t be a noun-verb.
- Walking - strolling
- Walking - stroll