Question words for Class 4 English
In this concept, students will learn about questions words used in sentences. These words are also referred to as wh question words. It also teaches the students the difference between different question words.
The students will learn the following:
- To identify question words in English.
- To complete sentences using wh-words.
Every concept is taught to class 4 English students with the help of examples, illustrations, and concept maps. Once you go through this chapter, assess your learning by solving the two printable worksheets at the page’s end. Download the question words worksheet and check your answers with the worksheet solutions for the concept question words provided in PDF format.
What is a Question Word?
- Question word is often called wh-words that can be used to ask questions.
- Words like who, which, what, where, who, whose, and why are question words.
- They are termed as ‘wh’ questions because in all the questions words W and h are included.
The word ‘how’ which is an adverb is used when you want to know to what extent.
Different Usage of ‘How’ in Sentences
- We use ‘how’ to use in measurements or amounts.
- How old is your granny?
- How often do you go shopping?
- How much does this cost?
- The word ‘how’ is also used in indirect questions.
- I wonder how they do it so fast?
- I don’t know how she will do it?
- The word ‘how’ is also used in exclamations.
The ‘wh’ question word is also used before adjectives, adverbs, and verb phrases.
- How beautiful!
- How cheap!
- How we just love this place!
- What’ is a wh-word that is used to ask the questions as a subject or pronoun.
- The word ‘what’ is also used to ask questions about things or people.
- We can use ‘what’ with exclamations to express strong feelings or opinions.
When is a wh question word. We use ‘when’ to enquire about the time of something happens.
The word ‘Where’ is a question word. We use ‘where’ to ask for information about the place.
The word ‘Which’ is a question word. We use ‘which’ to ask for specific information.
The word ‘Who’ is used to ask asking which person or people.(subject)
We use ‘whom’ more commonly in formal writing to enquire which people or person.
The word ‘Whose’ is a wh-word that is used ask a question about ownership.
Why is a wh question word .it is used to talk about reasons and explanations.
- Be careful not to use ‘when’ instead of ‘if’.
- If you arrive too late you are not allowed.
- When you arrive late you are not allowed.
- Do not be confused with whose and who.
- Whose colors are lying here? (who does the color belong to?)
- Who’s driving us home? (who is driving us back home?)
- Who’s there.
- Whose there.