Concept: Recap on Types of Noun & Abstract Noun
- Proper Noun
- Common Noun
A proper noun is the name of a particular person, animal, or thing. Words like Mary, Hyderabad, Mount Everest are all specific names used for a person, place, or mountain, respectively.
|Mary is dancing.||Rahul likes wearing his blue jumpsuit.||Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in India.|
A common noun refers to names given to every person or thing of the same kind or class. This name is not the specific name given to person, place or a thing, but it is a general name given to a group of person, place or thing. For instance, cow, dog, girl, boy, state, land, etc.
- This farmer owns many cows.
- My family will soon adopt a dog.
- My neighbour is a smart girl.
A collective noun is a name given to a collection of people, animals, things. This collection refers to things of the same kind. Examples for this type of noun are a class of students, an army of ants, a pair of shoes, a cluster of coconuts, a mob of deer.
|The army of ants found their way back to their colony.||The mob of deer ran away from the tiger.||Always keep your pair of shoes together.|
An abstract noun is a name given to a thought or idea. These ideas could be a name of a quality, emotion, state, or idea. The words beauty & sweetness describe a quality, whereas the words like childhood & adulthood are a person's state. These are words that describe an abstract thought or idea; hence they are called abstract nouns.
|She is beautiful.||Her braveness saved many people that day.||Happiness is something to crave for.|
Categories of Abstract Noun
Abstract nouns can be classified into subcategories like quality, emotion, state, idea, etc. Abstract nouns cannot be counted; Hence they are uncountable nouns.
Most of the abstract words fall could be grouped in the categories listed below. Look at a few of the examples listed under each category.
Think about all the qualities that a person might want or not want are a part of abstract nouns.
- Madonna is known for her beauty.
- Jaidev fed the poor out of the kindness of his heart.
The emotions that a person feels, like anger, sorrow, and hatred are a few examples of abstract nouns.
- Krutika felt grief after she lost the match.
- Anger and sorrow gave him the strength to fight in the war.
It is a specific condition that someone is in at a particular time—words like being, peace, chaos, liberty, etc.
- Peace can be achieved through mediation.
- Lokesh couldn’t speak on the phone due to the chaos on the road.
Ideas refer to the thoughts that a person thinks of. This type could include words like beliefs, interest, sacrifice, etc.
- Soldiers made great sacrifices in the war.
- Rasesh has many interests.
- Some of the abstract nouns should not be used in plural form.
- Most abstract nouns cannot be used with plural verbs.
- Some abstract nouns can be used in singular form, and some abstract nouns have a plural form.
Some words are given below:
✔ There was a lot of hatred between the soldiers during the war.
❌ There was a lot of hatreds between the soldiers during the war.
✔ Kindness is rewarded by many.
❌ Kindness are rewarded by many.
Let’s take a look at all the types we studied today.