Concept: My Family
What is a family?
- A unit of people related to each other is called a family.
- A family comprises parents, their children, and grandparents.
- The individuals of a family are called the family members.
- The members of a family belong to different age groups.
- The oldest person of the family could be a seventy-year-old man or a woman, and the youngest member of a family could be a few months old.
Types of a family:
Families can be broadly classified into two categories—
- Nuclear family: This type of family consists of two parents, children, and sometimes grandparents.
- Joint family: It is a big family consisting of parents, children, grandparents, cousins, uncles, and aunts.
What is a family tree?
A family tree is a tree-like structure that helps us understand the relationships among different individuals of that family.
- A family tree represents the members of the family from different generations.
- The older people of the family belong to the first generation or generation I.
- The younger family members represent the family's last generation, which is generation III or IV.
- Nine family members are present in this family tree, but they do not belong to the same generation.
- Paternal and maternal grandparents are older than their children, i.e., father and mother.
- Younger sisters, older sisters, and sons are younger than their parents.
- This family tree represents three different generations of family members.
Know about relationships:
|Paternal grandfather||Your father’s father is your paternal grandfather.|
|Paternal grandmother||Your father’s mother is your paternal grandmother.|
|Maternal grandfather||Your mother’s father is your maternal grandfather.|
|Maternal grandmother||Your mother’s mother is your maternal grandmother.|
Roles of grandparents in a family:
- Grandmothers and grandfathers are called grandparents and play a vital role in a family.
- They properly shape our parents’ life by teaching them the values of life.
- Grandparents support the family by helping with household activities, caring for the grandchildren, and playing with them.
- Their experience and wisdom help in the proper functioning of the family.
Role of parents in a family:
- Your mother’s husband or the male parent is your father. Your father’s wife or the female parent is your mother.
- Parents play a key role in a family and are also our first teachers in life.
- They teach their children various life skills and help them in education and career development.
- They provide both financial and emotional support to their children.
- Parents prepare their kids for future challenges.
- They help them make important decisions and make them self-dependent.
Role of brothers and sisters in a family:
- Brothers and sisters are called siblings and form an integral part of a family.
- They grow together in the same household and may share common habits, likes, and dislikes.
- During adolescence, elder siblings support younger ones mentally and emotionally.
- One also learns many skills from their siblings.
- We learn to share and care while growing up with siblings.
Know about your extended family:
Uncle and Aunt:
- The brother of your mother or your father is your uncle.
- The wife of your uncle and the sister of your father or mother is your aunt.
- Both uncles and aunts belong to the extended family.
- Your mother’s brother is called maternal uncle, and your maternal uncle’s wife is called maternal aunt.
- Your father’s brother is called paternal uncle, and your paternal uncle’s wife is called paternal aunt.
- We may have a cousin brother or sister but overall, they are called cousins.
- Cousins share the same grandparents or great-grandparents.
- We usually meet our cousins at family functions like weddings and birthday parties and during family get-togethers like family picnics.
- The son of your father’s brother or sister or brother-in-law is your father’s nephew.
- The daughter of your father’s brother or sister or brother-in-law is your father’s niece.
Adolescence: It is the phase of life that comes between childhood and adulthood, from ages 10 to 19.
Wisdom: It is the ability to make the right decisions.
Did You Know?
- The study of family history and family relationships is called genealogy.
- The use of a tree to represent the family ancestry started from a piece of art called 'The Tree of Jesse,' which shows the ancestors of Jesus Christ in a tree.