Concept: Situations in a Family
- A family consists of people related to each other.
- In a family, people live together in a house and spend time with each other. They celebrate good times together and face difficulties as a unit.
- Every family goes through various types of situations, either good or bad.
- If the situation is terrible, the members support each other to overcome it, and if it is good, everybody enjoys it.
Various situations faced by a family:
- Marriage is the union of two people as partners in a relationship.
- In India, a wedding is celebrated grandly in which all the family members of the bride and the groom are involved.
- It is an auspicious ceremony that includes many rituals and festivities that may last up to three to four days.
- Everyone in the family enjoys the functions and celebration of the wedding.
- Many delicious dishes and sweets are specially made for this occasion.
- In India, usually, after marriage, the bride moves to her husband’s house and starts living with her in-laws.
2. Illness and hospitalisation:
- Sudden illness and hospitalisation could be a stressful phase for a family.
- During this time, the family members extend both mental and financial support.
- It is difficult for the entire family when someone suffers from a serious illness.
- One has to rush from one department to the other in the hospital and have long discussions with the doctors about the treatment procedure.
- During this time, taking care of a child in the family becomes a challenging job. Some may have to take help from the extended family in such cases.
3. Financial crisis:
- A financial crisis happens when a family goes through a shortage of funds.
- It may happen for different reasons, like a sudden loss of job, huge loss of money due to bad investment, considerable expenses in treating health issues, etc.
- During this time, family members should support each other emotionally.
- If possible, some other members of the family should try earning to balance the situation.
- During such a situation, the family must cut down all unnecessary expenses.
- One can borrow money from close acquaintances but assure them about returning the amount when the situation improves.
4. Transfer to a new place:
- Sometimes a person is transferred to another place by their current organisation for resuming the job.
- In such cases, the family has to move to a different place in the country.
- Transfer creates a challenging situation for the whole family as they must adapt themselves to the new surroundings.
- The family has to manage all the aspects required for surviving, like getting a house, ensuring electric and water supply, getting the kids admitted to a new school and many such works.
- The child suffers the most as they leave their old school and get into a new school. They miss their old friends and teachers and are sometimes unable to make new friends, which makes them feel lonely.
- This is when parents should take good care of their kids and emotionally support them.
- Different food, language, and culture pose a great challenge to the family. However, with time they learn to embrace these changes.
5. Arrival of a baby:
- The arrival of a baby brings joy to the whole family.
- Everybody in the family starts spending time with the baby.
- The family’s elders take good care of the newborn baby and the mother.
- Family members play with the baby and help the mother to take care of it.
- During this time, the women of the family look after the new mother until her body heals after the baby’s delivery.
Rituals: These are religious ceremonies involving various actions that are performed in a specific order.
Investment: When one saves money from their income to build wealth, it is called investment.
Did You Know?
- When parents separate legally, it is called a legal separation. After the parents separate, it is the duty of both to look after the well-being of the child.
- The death of any family member is also a difficult situation for the family, but with time and the help of close ones, the pain and trauma of losing near ones decreases.